Med's Done....
16-10-2016
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
I'm going to complete 1 year of working in Canada next month and I'm getting ready to apply for CEC. I have a question related to my foreign work experience.

In Canada, I've been working for an employer on a full-time permanent position since September 2015.

My work experience outside of Canada, however, is primarily self-employment:

- 1 year working as a contractor where I have following proof: a contract and monthly invoices with listed tasks and amount of money paid to me.

- 5 years of running my own business where first 2 years I had no income and following 3 years for which I have bank statements to proof income. However, there's no clear evidence of my duties as I was an owner and the only employee of the company, and was developing software which was selling premium subscriptions. So, the ultimate income was not related to duties I conducted. It was rather the result of operating products that I developed and was maintaining. It seems like that is not a typical case, where you provide services for money, and thus can demonstrate the strong connection between a type of work completed and payment received.

In this cases, I've heard that you might get reference letters from your clients, partners, advisers and accountants. So, that's what I set out to do. I already have a reference letter from my accounting and legal advising firm. Also, I'm planning to show contracts with payment aggregators which were collecting money from end-users for me. Lastly, I feel that letter of explanation would be required to explain all that.

It'd be great to get advice from someone who already went through or about to apply, and have the similar situation. What further proof I can provide? Is it necessary to go into such details for CEC application?

I appreciate greatly you help!

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
Re: Self-employed foreign work experience under CEC question

wannabePR said:
I'm going to complete 1 year of working in Canada next month and I'm getting ready to apply for CEC. I have a question related to my foreign work experience.

My work experience outside of Canada is primarily self-employed:
- 1 year working as a contractor where I have following proof: a contract and monthly invoices with listed tasks and amount of money paid to me.
- 5 years of running my own business where first 2 years I had no income and following 3 years for which I have bank statements to proof income. However, there's no clear evidence of my duties as I was the owner and the only employee of the company, and was developing software where premium subscriptions were sold. So, the ultimate income was not related to duties I conducted. It was rather the result of operating products that I developed and was maintaining. It seems like that is not a typical case, where you provide services for money, and thus can demonstrate the strong connection between a type of work completed and payment received.

In this cases, I've heard that you may get reference letters from your clients, partners, advisers and accountants. So, that's what I set out to do. I already have a reference letter from my accounting and legal advising firm. Also, I'm planning to show contracts with payment aggregators which were collecting money from end-users for me. Lastly, I feel that letter of explanation would be required to explain all that.

It'd be great to get advice from someone who already went through or about to apply, and have the similar situation. What further proof I can provide? Is it necessary to go into such details for CEC application?

I don't think you can claim self employed experience towards express entry.

wannabePR

Feb 1, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2016
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-02-2017

I know that self-employed experience doesn't count towards CEC, but that's previous foreign work experience that I'd like to claim. Moreover, it's related to NOC code I'm applying under. I've heard that self-employed work outside of Canada can be claimed, although it's quite difficult to explain.

If I meet CEC criteria with Canadian work experience, will it matter what type of employment I had prior coming to Canada?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

wannabePR said:
I know that self-employed experience doesn't count towards CEC, but that's foreign work experience that I'd like to claim. Moreover, it's related to NOC code I'm applying under. I've heard that self-employed work outside of Canada can be claimed, although it's quite difficult to explain.

If I meet CEC criteria with Canadian work experience, will it matter what type of employment I had prior coming to Canada?
CIC doesn't seem to mention anything specific about foreign work experience for CEC applicants.

It says:
(2) A foreign national is a member of the Canadian experience class if

(a) they have acquired in Canada, within the three years before the date on which their application for permanent residence is made, at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in one or more occupations that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix, exclusive of restricted occupations; and

[...]

(3) For the purposes of subsection (2),

(b) any period of self-employment or unauthorized work shall not be included in calculating a period of work experience;
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-19.html#docCont

I would assume that 3(b) applies only to Canadian experience, but I'm not certain.

wannabePR

Feb 1, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2016
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Re: Self-employed foreign work experience

istari said:
CIC doesn't seem to mention anything specific about foreign work experience for CEC applicants.

It says: [link]

I would assume that 3(b) applies only to Canadian experience, but I'm not certain.
That what I assume as well. It has to be allowed to claim self-employed work experience for FSW though, as they even have a note on a document checklist for FSW:

Note: Self-employed individuals must provide documents from 3rd party individual(s) indicating the service provided along with payment details. Self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable evidence of work experience.
However, I'm confused about my situation where I don't have direct connecting between services provided and payment. I was developing products that were making money. Developing those products is my NOC, and I'm thinking on what evidence I can demonstrate to better support my developing experience in this case.

Since I'm applying under CEC, I also hope that they won't be strict as for the proof of foreign work experience, and simple Articles of Incorporation, partnership contracts and letter from my accountants/legal advisers will be sufficient evidence of my work experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

wannabePR said:
That what I assume as well. It has to be allowed to claim self-employed work experience for FSW though, as they even have a note on a document checklist for FSW:

However, I'm confused about my situation where I don't have direct connecting between services provided and payment. I was developing products that were making money. Developing those products is my NOC, and I'm thinking on what evidence I can demonstrate to better support my developing experience in this case.

Since I'm applying under CEC, I also hope that they won't be strict as for the proof of foreign work experience, and simple Articles of Incorporation, partnership contracts and letter from my accountants/legal advisers will be sufficient evidence of my work experience.
Just generalize a bit to your situation... instead of payments for services, how did you make money? Licensing fees? Royalties? Surely you have some documentation of whatever arrangements you made with whomever used your products.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

wannabePR said:
I know that self-employed experience doesn't count towards CEC, but that's previous foreign work experience that I'd like to claim. Moreover, it's related to NOC code I'm applying under. I've heard that self-employed work outside of Canada can be claimed, although it's quite difficult to explain.

You have to think of it as a dual application - one for EE, and one for a program (in your case, CEC). Self-employment will not be considered and is not a factor at all in the CEC eligibility assessment. However, to even get to that stage, you need to have your Expression of Interest accepted, and have enough CRS points to earn an invitation. For the EE application, your foreign work experience WILL earn you points (regardless of which program you are eligible for).

Yes, foreign self-employment experience is valid for the profile and CRS points. You will have to document it to keep the points, even if it is not relevant to your CEC eligibility.

wannabePR

Feb 1, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2016
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Re: Evidence to support self-employed foreign work experience

jes_ON said:
Just generalize a bit to your situation... instead of payments for services, how did you make money? Licensing fees? Royalties? Surely you have some documentation of whatever arrangements you made with whomever used your products.
Absolutely, not precisely what you said, but I have documentation of arrangments with payment gateways that authorized credit cards transactions and direct payments from end users. It doesn't look as good as licensing or royalty agreement, but that's at least proof of the fact that money was transferred and by who.

jes_ON said:
You have to think of it as a dual application - one for EE, and one for a program (in your case, CEC). Self-employment will not be considered and is not a factor at all in the CEC eligibility assessment. However, to even get to that stage, you need to have your Expression of Interest accepted, and have enough CRS points to earn an invitation. For the EE application, your foreign work experience WILL earn you points (regardless of which program you are eligible for).

Yes, foreign self-employment experience is valid for the profile and CRS points. You will have to document it to keep the points, even if it is not relevant to your CEC eligibility.
That's very helpful explanation. Never thought of it as a dual application. Well, if my Canadian work experience earns me qualification under CEC program then my self-employment foreign work experience doesn't even have to be related to NOC code of work experience in Canada, and the only thing I need to proof is that such experience was in fact. Is that correct?

In the case of self-employment, how the actual time that you worked is counted? How would they know that you worked full-time or part-time while you were running your own business? Or they don't care as long as you were constantly earning money?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Re: Evidence to support self-employed foreign work experience

wannabePR said:
That's very helpful explanation. Never thought of it as a dual application. Well, if my Canadian work experience earns me qualification under CEC program then my self-employment foreign work experience doesn't even have to be related to NOC code of work experience in Canada, and the only thing I need to proof is that such experience was in fact. Is that correct?

That is correct, but of course it is inherently more difficult (more paperwork, anyway) to prove with self employment - and perhaps even harder in your case. Don't forget any tax documents that your country may issue that proves reported (business) income...

In the case of self-employment, how the actual time that you worked is counted? How would they know that you worked full-time or part-time while you were running your own business? Or they don't care as long as you were constantly earning money?

Well, they DO care because it affects how your points are calculated. And if your earnings and other documentation do not support a claim of working full-time, then the VO could reject the experience and you would lose the points.

Do your best to estimate approx. hours worked per week, and put that in your letter of explanation. Then find a third party who is willing to attest to that - remember, your word alone has no value, it must be supported by documentation and/or 3rd party
testiment...

If you worked part-time (fewer than 30 hours per week), then you have to calculate your "full time equivalence" - hours worked per week multiplied by # of weeks worked, divided by 30 = FTE weeks. (where 52 FTE weeks = 1 year, 104 = 2 years etc.) to estimate your eligibility for points.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
wannabePR said:

In Canada, I've been working for an employer on a full-time permanent position since September 2015.

My work experience outside of Canada, however, is primarily self-employment:

- 5 years of running my own business where first 2 years I had no income and following 3 years for which I have bank statements to proof income. However, there's no clear evidence of my duties as I was an owner and the only employee of the company, and was developing software which was selling premium subscriptions. So, the ultimate income was not related to duties I conducted. It was rather the result of operating products that I developed and was maintaining. It seems like that is not a typical case, where you provide services for money, and thus can demonstrate the strong connection between a type of work completed and payment received.

In this cases, I've heard that you might get reference letters from your clients, partners, advisers and accountants. So, that's what I set out to do. I already have a reference letter from my accounting and legal advising firm. Also, I'm planning to show contracts with payment aggregators which were collecting money from end-users for me. Lastly, I feel that letter of explanation would be required to explain all that.

This is what OINP Application Guide (Human Capital Priorities Stream) says about document required for self-employed (FSWP applicants). Hope it could be of help.

If you are or have been self-employed, provide copies of all the following documentation for periods of self-employment, if available:
- Business/company registration documents;
- Proof of business conducted with clients (i.e., invoices, bills, and client references);
- Balance sheets;
- Income tax returns;
- T4A Statements (if self-employed in Canada); AND
- Proof of license to practice if you are a private practitioner in a regulated occupation.

May 18, 2020

Did you get your PR, thanks