+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA - Responding to Background Question

poutinepal512

Dec 9, 2018
Hi there,

Back in 2016, my fiance's application for a U.S. K1 (fiance) visa was placed in administrative processing for about 6 months. The visa was subsequently granted, she moved to the U.S., we got married, and she now has a Green Card.

We're planning a trip to Canada, but not sure how to answer the question on the eTA, "Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry to, or ordered to leave Canada or any other country/territory?"

Welcome any and all insight.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi there,

Back in 2016, my fiance's application for a U.S. K1 (fiance) visa was placed in administrative processing for about 6 months. The visa was subsequently granted, she moved to the U.S., we got married, and she now has a Green Card.

We're planning a trip to Canada, but not sure how to answer the question on the eTA, "Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry to, or ordered to leave Canada or any other country/territory?"

Welcome any and all insight.
She must answer 'Yes' and mention about the 221(g)

poutinepal512

Dec 9, 2018
She must answer 'Yes' and mention about the 221(g)
Thanks, Bryanna, could you offer any suggestions on what we should write as the explanation after answering "Yes"?

Also, given this scenario, do you think answering "Yes" could delay her eTA or lead to complications? She has not had any other visa-related issues.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks, Bryanna, could you offer any suggestions on what we should write as the explanation after answering "Yes"?
She must state the facts + her current US immigration status.

Also, given this scenario, do you think answering "Yes" could delay her eTA or lead to complications? She has not had any other visa-related issues.
No

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
FWIW, I got an administrative refusal from the US that had that application withdrawn, with no visa issued. I’ve never declared that as a refusal in subsequent US and Canada visa and PR applications, and I never ran into any issues. That said, it’s still better to “overstate” and explain the context.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks bellaluna for the added context.

Is it worth it to call the 1-800-O-Canada number as listed on the eTA Help page to get a recommendation one way or the other?
Those agents wouldn’t know something like that since it relates to a US visa issue. They’re not the most reliable either, in general.

Really even if you answer yes it wouldn’t affect the ETA approval. And they’ll check their records and most likely shrug it off.