+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eta or TRV

dannypm

Apr 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

My spousal sponsorship is in process and I would like to visit my wife in Canada.

I am from a visa exempt country....should I travel with eta or apply for a trv? which one would you recommend? how long do they allow to stay with eta and what do the customs ask?

Appreciate your help

Thanks

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As your sponsorship process hasn't been completed yet, you will require an eTA. You don't need to apply for TRV as you're a visa-exempt foreign national. eTA is a mere prescreening process. It doesn't grant you a specific time to stay in Canada per se. Usually, you can visit Canada for up to 6 months unless the border services officer marks the date on your passport by which you should leave Canada. That may be your case as you're visiting your spouse and that may raise concerns of your potential overstaying. Of course, having eTA (or TRV) doesn't mean you will be granted an entry. It's an additional screening process. Good luck.

Standard questions are:
-How long will you stay in Canada?
-What is the purpose of your visit?
-Where will you be staying in Canada?
-How much $$$ do you have on you?
-Do you have medical coverage (private health insurance) during your stay in Canada?

According to the eTA application form, the officer may ask for a proof of insurance.

dannypm

Apr 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply

Was just wondering as I have read about people being denied entry when using eta but not when coming with trv

Having said that, when coming on eta if the customs officer stamps for a month or so, is it possible to extend the stay if required and how can I do that? Is it same as trv...applying for an extension? Does eta allow multiple entries?

Thanks

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eTA is not a visa. It is a collection of information. It is supposed to decrease the number of people who land in Canada and are denied entry. Well, that's one of the purposes of eTA anyway. eTA will allow you multiple entries. It is valid for 5 years or as long as your passport is valid, whichever comes first. It is associated with your passport number. So once the passport expires, you have to apply for a new eTA.

If the officer indicates the date by which you must leave Canada, you simply must comply. You can return to your home country or travel somewhere else. You can return to Canada immediately after of course, but if you keep leaving and coming back that may raise concerns you're not visiting but living in Canada.

If you're from a visa-exempt country, you may visit Canada freely, but you cannot live here. You need to wait till your sponsorship process is completed.