+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA issues

Nikitakat

Dec 27, 2019
Our PR cards expired in 2017 while we are living in Australia as citizens. We want to visit our son in February after not seeing him for over 5 years. We got a message back that we have to renounce our PR, not what we planned to do if we wanted to move back one day. If we apply for a PRTD, they might refuse it and we cant re-apply for eTA for 60 days. How long does a PRTD take and can you get your PR back if you didn't spend 730 days in 5 years in Canada? Thank you in advance

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Our PR cards expired in 2017 while we are living in Australia as citizens. We want to visit our son in February after not seeing him for over 5 years. We got a message back that we have to renounce our PR, not what we planned to do if we wanted to move back one day. If we apply for a PRTD, they might refuse it and we cant re-apply for eTA for 60 days. How long does a PRTD take and can you get your PR back if you didn't spend 730 days in 5 years in Canada? Thank you in advance
If you don’t meet residency obligation, a PRTD will be refused and the process to revoke your PR starts. As a PR you are required to meet RO....it’s something you agreed to. As a PR you aren’t eligible for any form of visa/ETA and must travel on a valid PR card or a PRTD.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
A PR card is meant to be used to live in Canada , that’s why it’s called Permanent Residence . Not to be kept in your back pocket as something to be used in a “ maybe “, I’ll move back one day

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If we apply for a PRTD, they might refuse it
If you choose to apply for a PRTD, unless you have strong humanitarian reasons to have lived outside Canada, it will be refused, not might be, it WILL be. And they will start the process to revoke your PR status

You have 2 options.
1. Apply to voluntarily renounce your PR status, once it's approved, you can apply for eTA and come to Canada as a visitor.
2. If you really try to hold onto your PR status, come into Canada using your COPR via a land border from the States. If somehow, miraculously, you are not reported by border officer for failing to meet RO, you are safe. If border officer reports you for failing to meet RO, your PR status will be revoked. You decide if this is a chance you wish to take

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
Hi there,
I am wondering how you got on with getting into Canada? I am an Australian and have just applied to renounce my PR online in order to get my ETA. It has been 3 weeks now and am anxious to know how long it might take? Did you end up renouncing and if so, how long did it take?