+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA is canceled upon receipt of PR

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Just for the record, in case anyone was wondering, a valid eTA is canceled (in fact, erased from the record - it doesn't even count as canceled) when a person arrives in Canada to assume PR status.

I wasn't sure if it would be canceled or would slip through the cracks. It would be very handy for CIC to NOT cancel the eTA until the PR card has arrived, but it seems that there's no motivation to make the period of wait time for new PRs any easier while whichever outsourced company has the contract takes their sweet-ass time to make a dumb card. This basically ensures that new immigrants cannot take on any employment requiring business travel overseas until the random time interval for card issuance has passed. /rantover

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
aurora2014 said:
Just for the record, in case anyone was wondering, a valid eTA is canceled (in fact, erased from the record - it doesn't even count as canceled) when a person arrives in Canada to assume PR status.

I wasn't sure if it would be canceled or would slip through the cracks. It would be very handy for CIC to NOT cancel the eTA until the PR card has arrived, but it seems that there's no motivation to make the period of wait time for new PRs any easier while whichever outsourced company has the contract takes their sweet-ass time to make a dumb card. This basically ensures that new immigrants cannot take on any employment requiring business travel overseas until the random time interval for card issuance has passed. /rantover
Good to hear this confirmation of what we suspected would happen. This will certainly remove the option for visa-exempt Permanent Residents to slip in with expired PR cards. I suspect that this is an unexpected but desirable side effect of the new eTA process.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes many thanks for this update.

If I had come straight over on PR vs the work permit this would have really upset my management who had me down in the US within a few weeks for on-boarding.

I don't understand why they can't issue cards (even temp ones) at the border. The ability to print onto plastic from small machines does exist, or just like a temporary bank card.
Even allowing one to go collect in person at major cities (serviceontario?) would be better. This is the 21st century isn't it?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jc94 said:
I don't understand why they can't issue cards (even temp ones) at the border. The ability to print onto plastic from small machines does exist, or just like a temporary bank card.
Even allowing one to go collect in person at major cities (serviceontario?) would be better. This is the 21st century isn't it?
How much does it cost to set up those machines or issue cards in every border and airports? Yes, some people need to collect their cards in person at their office especially during renewal.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
steaky said:
How much does it cost to set up those machines or issue cards in every border and airports? Yes, some people need to collect their cards in person at their office especially during renewal.
There are a lot of solutions to this, but we're being offered nothing. Maybe the COPR could actually be usable for travel during the wait period. Maybe they could stick one of those incredibly specific photographs to the copy we all keep. Or maybe they could allow new PRs to have a valid eTA so we're not all stuck for work in the first few months. The advice I received at the border was that I should try not to travel for the next few months - which is a ridiculous constraint IMNSHO.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aurora2014 said:
There are a lot of solutions to this, but we're being offered nothing. Maybe the COPR could actually be usable for travel during the wait period. Maybe they could stick one of those incredibly specific photographs to the copy we all keep. Or maybe they could allow new PRs to have a valid eTA so we're not all stuck for work in the first few months. The advice I received at the border was that I should try not to travel for the next few months - which is a ridiculous constraint IMNSHO.
But ETA is currently lenient until the coming fall and it is not required when travel through a land border by car/foot.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
steaky said:
But ETA is currently lenient until the coming fall and it is not required when travel through a land border by car/foot.
It's just a short reprieve. The eTA shouldn't be implemented till there's a solution to the utterly ludicrous waiting times for PR cards (a problem exacerbated by the senseless change in specs and further failure to inform people of the change until AFTER they've landed and submitted COPRs with the wrong photos). It means that any new immigrant traveling for business (or for pleasure) outside of North America without a PR card needs to return to a US airport and figure out a way to cross the border on land.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Don't forget that non visa-exempt PRs have already been in this position for many years. All that has changed is that visa-exempt PRs are also now controlled.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I just can't believe it'd that expensive. Certainly having blank cards that can have something stored on them like a temporary bank card or like a hotel card wouldn't be that expensive.
Heck, charge me $200 if I want one! I'd pay that, I think most people would.

Or setup main offices. So instead of having how ever many hundred there are just have them put places that do them into the downtown capitals. Sure if you land in Calgary having to go to Edmonton to collect is a pain but it's less of a pain than trying to get a PRTD or cross on foot. In my option this would just a option though, not the same as people who get told to collect after months to check they are actually in Canada.

But heh, pipe dreams right.

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
aurora2014 said:

An old post but I need an answer : If Eta is cancelled upon receipt of PR, how come my ETA status would still indicates 'Approved' even though I'm now a PR ? Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
GoHaPPyCaN said:
An old post but I need an answer : If Eta is cancelled upon receipt of PR, how come my ETA status would still indicates 'Approved' even though I'm now a PR ? Thank you.
what real difference does it make if you are a PR in the system, PR rules apply to you not non-PR rules so a PR card or PRTD to travel. Do you want to risk as a PR travelling and assuming the ETA is still valid knowing as a PR you are no longer qualifying.