+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA got denied

Dec 11, 2019
So I applied to get an ETA back in October, I am currently working as a translator, filled up everything on the canadian gobernment page, paid the correct amount and had to wait. Got an email from canadian official website telling me that my application is under investigation because I lied about my criminal record in the United States, which I was convicted of two felonies back in 2005 and did prison time up to 2009 then got deprted to Mexico. Ever since then I have not got in trouble in Mexico, went to college, got a family, been working as an English teacher for the past 6 years and now, like I mentioned at the beggining, I am currently working as a translator at an outsourcing company which is hiring worker for Canada. I was asked by the canadian government about my FBI's cleareance, local police record from the state in the United States I was arrested in and a personal letter explaining all about my case that happen more than 10 years ago (letter is uploaded, just waiting on FBI and local arrest document to be send so I can upload them) My question is, what is the possibility for me to get the ETA approved? or is there any other process I need to do ? Any help or orientation is helpful and granted!!! :)

Dec 11, 2019
No I did not because I read incorrectly on the website about the 5 year period, so I thought I did not have to mentioned my criminal background since it was from 10 years ago since i got deported and 15 years ago since I got convicted

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
No I did not because I read incorrectly on the website about the 5 year period, so I thought I did not have to mentioned my criminal background since it was from 10 years ago since i got deported and 15 years ago since I got convicted
not sure what your convictions were for but could it be possible that you are inadmissible to Canada due to the felonies?

Dec 11, 2019
Simultaneus possesion of fire arms and drugs and possesion with intent to deliver, those are the two felonies, so in case i get denied, is there anything I, my current job in mexico or the company from canada can do to help me with this issue?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So I applied to get an ETA back in October, I am currently working as a translator, filled up everything on the canadian gobernment page, paid the correct amount and had to wait. Got an email from canadian official website telling me that my application is under investigation because I lied about my criminal record in the United States, which I was convicted of two felonies back in 2005 and did prison time up to 2009 then got deprted to Mexico. Ever since then I have not got in trouble in Mexico, went to college, got a family, been working as an English teacher for the past 6 years and now, like I mentioned at the beggining, I am currently working as a translator at an outsourcing company which is hiring worker for Canada. I was asked by the canadian government about my FBI's cleareance, local police record from the state in the United States I was arrested in and a personal letter explaining all about my case that happen more than 10 years ago (letter is uploaded, just waiting on FBI and local arrest document to be send so I can upload them) My question is, what is the possibility for me to get the ETA approved? or is there any other process I need to do ? Any help or orientation is helpful and granted!!! :)
Pretty much zero chance of approval. You are likely inadmissible and need to apply for Rehabilitation.

Dec 11, 2019
Rehabilitation form... yeah I thought about it, so I am going to upload all FBI documents and state records from USA and hope for the best expect the worst .... after that then I guess will continue my process with the rehab form... thanks so much for all of your feedback ......

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Simultaneus possesion of fire arms and drugs and possesion with intent to deliver, those are the two felonies, so in case i get denied, is there anything I, my current job in mexico or the company from canada can do to help me with this issue?
1. No, you are criminally inadmissible to Canada for serious criminality. The maximum penalty in Canada is imprisonment for life

"
Trafficking in substance Trafic de substances
5 (1) No person shall traffic in a substance included in
Schedule I, II, III, IV or V or in any substance represented
or held out by that person to be such a substance.

Possession for purpose of trafficking

a substance included in Schedule I, II, III, IV or V.

Punishment Peine
(3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2)
(a) if the subject matter of the offence is a substance
included in Schedule I or II, is guilty of an indictable
offence and liable to imprisonment for life, and
(i) to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for
a term of one year if
(A) the person committed the offence for the
benefit of, at the direction of or in association
with a criminal organization, as defined in subsection
467.1(1) of the Criminal Code,
(B) the person used or threatened to use violence
in committing the offence,
(C) the person carried, used or threatened to use
a weapon in committing the offence, or"

2. You would need to apply for rehabilitation once 5 years have passed since the completion of the sentence. With the convictions and the deportation from the US, I wouldn't hold my breath that you would be issued a work permit for Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rehabilitation form... yeah I thought about it, so I am going to upload all FBI documents and state records from USA and hope for the best expect the worst .... after that then I guess will continue my process with the rehab form... thanks so much for all of your feedback ......
You need to apply for rehabilitation. This is a completely separate process from the eTA process (the eTA is going to be refused because you are currently inadmissible to Canada).

Rehabilitation process is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html

Note that processing times for rehab applications are anywhere from a few months to well over a year.

Dec 11, 2019
ok, I really apriciate this feed back but.... I do not need a work permit, all I need to do is travel back and forth from mexico to canada and its been abit longer thann 10 years since i got deported and my convictions

Dec 11, 2019
You need to apply for rehabilitation. This is a completely separate process from the eTA process (the eTA is going to be refused because you are currently inadmissible to Canada).

Rehabilitation process is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html

Note that processing times for rehab applications are anywhere from a few months to well over a year.
Thank you so much, I will do the rehabilitation process as soon as possible ... thanks for the feed back

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
ok, I really apriciate this feed back but.... I do not need a work permit, all I need to do is travel back and forth from mexico to canada and its been abit longer thann 10 years since i got deported and my convictions
you mentioned in your original post about a Canadian company hiring a translator. If you were ever going to work for them, that would have required a work permit. Anyway moot point.