+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA cancelled with no notification or reason

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
I was just checking up on my ETA and it says approved, but under that it says:

"Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.
Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.
You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada."

I'm confused by this as I have no idea why it would have been cancelled. I also never received an email, nor anything else. I found this as I thought I'd just check on it just in case... luckily I did.

As a bit of background I am on a closed work permit through PNP, was previously on IEC. I'm currently in the USA visiting some family. I'm a british citizen. I have to fly to get back where I live in Canada.

Is this because I flag polled? I did this around 2 months ago.

I also was on implied visitor status at one point, before flag polling for a closed work permit.

Maybe the border officer while flag polling cancelled it for whatever reason?

I'll try re applying but hopefully this doesn't make things difficult getting back in! It's just with no reason given I have no idea what I can rectify for the application.

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe that your implied status disappeared when you left Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not on implied status. I was previously, now I'm on a closed work permit.
No idea why your eTA has been cancelled, but one option would be to cross into Canada at a land PoE in a private vehicle, or by foot. Not the best option, granted, but worth considering as a last resort.

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
My current guess is that during my implied status maybe I was thought to have overstayed my visa. So I'll just have to wait and see if they approve another one!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My current guess is that during my implied status maybe I was thought to have overstayed my visa. So I'll just have to wait and see if they approve another one!
But since an eTA is a requirement to travel via a commercial air carrier, are you not able to use a land border and save the $7? LOL!

Good luck!

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
But since an eTA is a requirement to travel via a commercial air carrier, are you not able to use a land border and save the $7? LOL!

Good luck!
Not unless I want to drive for over 4000km haha..

I'm fairly certain that whatever reason that the eTA is cancelled will be the same inadmissibility at the border

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not unless I want to drive for over 4000km haha..

I'm fairly certain that whatever reason that the eTA is cancelled will be the same inadmissibility at the border
Or, book a flight within the U.S. [NOT on Southwest Airlines] to the airport closest to your nearest land border.

Do you really think you may be inadmissible?! Did you get any information at all, pertaining to this sentence: "...we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application."

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Or, book a flight within the U.S. [NOT on Southwest Airlines] to the airport closest to your nearest land border.

Do you really think you may be inadmissible?! Did you get any information at all, pertaining to this sentence: "...we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application."
Nope, absolutely nothing. I wasn't even emailed about it when it happened, so I have no idea when it was cancelled. I just checked on it today as I was about to book a flight.

I assume I'm not inadmissible, especially because I got a closed work permit on the border 2 months ago.

It's just I'd rather not have to deal with getting stuck at the border, especially because I would have to rent a car to do so. I could take a train or bus from Seattle, but it would be a nice big mess if I got rejected there!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope, absolutely nothing. I wasn't even emailed about it when it happened, so I have no idea when it was cancelled. I just checked on it today as I was about to book a flight.

I assume I'm not inadmissible, especially because I got a closed work permit on the border 2 months ago.

It's just I'd rather not have to deal with getting stuck at the border, especially because I would have to rent a car to do so. I could take a train or bus from Seattle, but it would be a nice big mess if I got rejected there!
Maybe try calling CBSA and see what they say about any issues in their system regarding your admissibility. Last thing you want/need is a surprise when you finally do get to primary inspection...somewhere!

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Maybe try calling CBSA and see what they say about any issues in their system regarding your admissibility. Last thing you want/need is a surprise when you finally do get to primary inspection...somewhere!
Turns out a lot of people have had this same message over the years: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eta-cancelled-without-reason.621016/

I'll ring anyway just in case. I've also applied for a new eTA.

If it is a technical glitch... it's another reason to fire whoever makes the shoddy IRCC website! I work for the feds and all of their web tech is a big joke.. hoping for my sake it's the same here.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Turns out a lot of people have had this same message over the years: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eta-cancelled-without-reason.621016/

I'll ring anyway just in case. I've also applied for a new eTA.

If it is a technical glitch... it's another reason to fire whoever makes the shoddy IRCC website! I work for the feds and all of their web tech is a big joke.. hoping for my sake it's the same here.
I suspect you are correct. I've all but lost count of the plethora of issues plaguing the PR Card renewal process...mostly those doing so online.