+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA cancelled... Or still valid?

_claudio_

Aug 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

some time ago I applied for a Working Holiday visa and in one month I will move to Vancouver. I would like to enter Canada with my eTA, find a place to live, a work and then go to Seattle and get back to Canada activating my Work Permit (I know of a friend who did exactly like so).

I was checking the validity of my eTA (number starting by J) I issued a couple of years ago through the online tool and I found:

Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada.

On the other hand, on the work permit page the status of my eTA is: "Your document is valid", the expiration date is in 2023 (the day before the expiration of my passport) and also the number is different (although it always starts with a J).

Originally when I made it this expiration date was in 2022... The situation looks pretty messed up!

So what is the situation? Will I be able to get in as tourist and then go to the US and come back activating the working visa?

Thank you all

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Your tourist ETA is no longer valid. You do have a valid ETA that was issued when you got your Work Permit. This won't show up in the online system, since it is issued differently.

You can travel to Canada and ask to be let in as a tourist. The officer has the discretion to do so. He may also refuse and tell you that he's letting you in on your Work Permit (in which case I suppose it gets activated, not sure about it).

Reactions: bellcanada

bellcanada

May 15, 2022
Where can I see my ETA?
Because I also have a canceled ETA, but there is a new ETA linked to my new work visa. but when I put the work visa ETA does not appear at ETa status checker.
Can you help me please?