+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA cancelled after landing, is this normal???

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
I soft-landed at Vancouver last October (officially became PR) and today, after like 4 months, I got a message from IRCC which told me that my eTA cancelled. The message is shown below. I have two questions:

1. I have checked in this forum that cancellation of eTA after officially becoming a PR is a standard thing. Therefore, for me, I do not have to do anything regarding this message, i.e. I can just go back Canada anytime, with my PR card on hand. Right?

2. Please pay attention to the IRCC message I show below. I highlighted green part and red part. I think the red part is a mistake, right? (really sloppy....)

*********************************************************************************************************************
Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your application has been cancelled for the following reason(s):
You are not eligible for an eTA as you are a Canadian Permanent Resident. As a Canadian permanent resident, you will need to present a valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document when travelling to Canada.

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada by air. If you do decide to travel to Canada, you may experience delays or be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I soft-landed at Vancouver last October (officially became PR) and today, after like 4 months, I got a message from IRCC which told me that my eTA cancelled. The message is shown below. I have two questions:

1. I have checked in this forum that cancellation of eTA after officially becoming a PR is a standard thing. Therefore, for me, I do not have to do anything regarding this message, i.e. I can just go back Canada anytime, with my PR card on hand. Right?

2. Please pay attention to the IRCC message I show below. I highlighted green part and red part. I think the red part is a mistake, right? (really sloppy....)

*********************************************************************************************************************
Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your application has been cancelled for the following reason(s):
You are not eligible for an eTA as you are a Canadian Permanent Resident. As a Canadian permanent resident, you will need to present a valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document when travelling to Canada.

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada by air. If you do decide to travel to Canada, you may experience delays or be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada.
Yes, this is all normal. You are now a PR so you need either a PRTD or a PR card to travel to Canada (unless you come via a land border crossing from the US). The eTA is no longer valid.

The red is not a mistake. It's saying you no longer have a valid eTA and should not expect to travel using the eTA. It's a standard line in these letters.

dangboby

Mar 10, 2019
I got my eTa cancelled shortly after landing too.

TADF may I ask if you got your PR card yet? I have PRTD but not PR card and I soft landed same month as you.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
I got my eTa cancelled shortly after landing too.

TADF may I ask if you got your PR card yet? I have PRTD but not PR card and I soft landed same month as you.
With the help of my friend in Canada, I got my PR card. Lucky, the processing time (since submitting mailing address in Canada) of my PR card was like 3 weeks (you will be notified by email about update in the online portal, which told you the card been mailed), then the actual mailing (seems like from Nova Scotia) takes about another 1 week. good luck

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
With the help of my friend in Canada, I got my PR card. Lucky, the processing time (since submitting mailing address in Canada) of my PR card was like 3 weeks (you will be notified by email about update in the online portal, which told you the card been mailed), then the actual mailing (seems like from Nova Scotia) takes about another 1 week. good luck
Then “exactly “ what is the issue ? You got your card faster than others have posted . EXACTLY what is the issue ?