+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA and study permit

ashasi

Nov 10, 2018
Hello,
I have a visitor visa and I have been in Canada from 3 months ago. I have applied for study permit online and my study permit is approved and an eta is issued for me. now I have a visitor visa and an eTA. I should exit Canada and re enter to get my study permit. Can I got to one of land port of entery and exit and come back to get my study permit or because they issued me a eta I should exit Canada by air and re enter by air?
Thank you for your help.

karinafrey

Aug 19, 2019
Hello,
I have a visitor visa and I have been in Canada from 3 months ago. I have applied for study permit online and my study permit is approved and an eta is issued for me. now I have a visitor visa and an eTA. I should exit Canada and re enter to get my study permit. Can I got to one of land port of entery and exit and come back to get my study permit or because they issued me a eta I should exit Canada by air and re enter by air?
Thank you for your help.
Hi bro!

If you are in Canada and entered the country through your eTA, and applied for Study Permit from Canada, and your Study Permit is approved, you don’t need to do anything. Now your current status is Study Permit. You just need to wait for your intake and start classes.

Congratulations, by the way! I also entered the country through eTA and now I am waiting for my Study Permit which HAS TO COME still this week, because my Registration Day is on next Monday. Oh well! Let’s pray and wait!

Wish you all the best!

ashasi

Nov 10, 2018
Hi bro!

If you are in Canada and entered the country through your eTA, and applied for Study Permit from Canada, and your Study Permit is approved, you don’t need to do anything. Now your current status is Study Permit. You just need to wait for your intake and start classes.

Congratulations, by the way! I also entered the country through eTA and now I am waiting for my Study Permit which HAS TO COME still this week, because my Registration Day is on next Monday. Oh well! Let’s pray and wait!

Wish you all the best!
No I entered Canada through my visitor visa and in my POE letter it is mentioned that my study permit will be issued by CBSA officer at port of Entry. I Now I have a visitor visa and an eTA. My question is can I go to a land border to get my study permit or I should exit Canada and enter by air?

karinafrey

Aug 19, 2019
No I entered Canada through my visitor visa and in my POE letter it is mentioned that my study permit will be issued by CBSA officer at port of Entry. I Now I have a visitor visa and an eTA. My question is can I go to a land border to get my study permit or I should exit Canada and enter by air?
Oh, I am sorry! It is because many people consider eTA a visitor visa, so I confused this. I think you could just go to a border to get your Study Permit then, but double check it with an advisor (agency), because I have never heard something like your case. It is better to make sure you can do that way.

Reactions: ashasi

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
Thank you for your help.
Where are you from? Generally, you can't qualify for both a TRV and an eTA.

Yes, you can go to the border and flagpole.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi bro!

Wish you all the best!
Only visitors meeting specific requirements can apply to change their status to student within Canada. The majority of visitors must apply to a VO outside of Canada and actually leave the country and re-enter to activate their new status.

karinafrey

Aug 19, 2019
Only visitors meeting specific requirements can apply to change their status to student within Canada. The majority of visitors must apply to a VO outside of Canada and actually leave the country and re-enter to activate their new status.
Yes, I am aware of that. I believe I was one of those visitors by the way, because I entered the country with my eTA to accomplish language program, get the TOEFL score I needed in order to be fully accepted for my program. I accomplish it in two months (Feb 25th to Apr 17th) and applied for my Study Permit right away, on May 21st. I did it through Immi-Canada agency and I came to Canada already pre-accepted for my program. The only thing they were waiting for was my TOEFL score and the academic preparation done. I got it and got the final letter of acceptance. I had all the docs that were needed, my father’s docs because he is my guarantor, all perfect. We applied after that.

Now, I am waiting for the final decision... it has been 3 months almost, and I am very worried just like everyone who is going to have an intake one Sep 3rd.

Anyways, all good things at all good times. I trust it! Thank you for the info!

⭐