+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Estranged father. parents not separated legally

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Hi mistakenly posted in family sponsorship, was redirected here.

My wife's father was a severe drunkard and lost his job. abusive towards mother in law etc. Her grandfather (my motherin law's father) brought my wife and mother in law home when she was 5 years. They did not have financial privelege or any background to tackle this situation legally. It was 25 years ago and they are from remote areas. They just wanted my wife, who was a child at that time to be safe. They moved to the city and have been living alone ever since. They know his whereabouts vaguely over the years through old neighbours and mutual acquantainces. he has also visited them a few times and harrassed.But Absolute no contact , havent even seen in last 10 years. We decided to give this as an LOE in and attach proof from my wife's documents over the years as only my mother in law has signed them.

1. I spoke to the consultant whom I am planning to apply sowp through, said there are only 3 options in my mother in law's marital status in family information form. since there is no legal separation, it will be a problem in choosing her status. better talk to lawyer and sort it out. We dont even know where he is exactly. Morever my wife or mother in law doesnt want to talk to him or even see him as they struggled entire life alone because of him. Kindly which option to choose here.

2. Will this affect as my wife's PR in future(consultant's word) ? She came up in life through hardwork now she is scared all will be in vain because of this situation.

3. Will my mother-in-law's future application get affected if we decide to sponsor her in future either as visitor/parent visa/PR? As they are not legally divorced. But we have government ration card issued 15 years ago with just my mother in law and wife as family. any number of neighbours can vouch for them.

Please help