+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Error in absences in citizenship calculator

nqh

Nov 18, 2015
Hi there,

I have a question regarding an error related to my absences in the citizenship calculator.

Context:
1. I have travelled for 273 outside Canada in the last 4 years. I completed 3 pages in the calculator of trips related to work most of the time.
2. I completed the exam today (20/20)
3. I have an excel sheet that I use to compile my trips overseas

Issue:
During interview with the agent she requested my passport. I gave her my 3 passports that I used in the last 4 years. She started to checking each passport and ask questions about the trips. At some point, she consulted another agent (I think it was her manager) and she came back showing me a report from CBSA with 5 trips that I didn't register in the calculator with the application. Re-checking everything after the interview I identified 1 missed trip at least.

Result:
She asked me to provide photocopies of all pages of my 3 passports, plus letter from the employer mentioning my role/responsibilities, motives of my trips and even salary. Also, she asked for Notices of Assessment from Revenue Canada for the last 4 years. Interview completed.

Action:
I will provide all documents required. Also, I have requested the CBSA report so I can show them the errors plus my excel sheet that I used to track my trips. I will prepare a formal letter to explain the errors and attach the info I have related to those trips in order to rectify my error. And take full responsibility of the outcome.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? or better alternatives? Please comment, thanks.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
nqh said:
Hi there,

I have a question regarding an error related to my absences in the citizenship calculator.

Context:
1. I have travelled for 273 outside Canada in the last 4 years. I completed 3 pages in the calculator of trips related to work most of the time.
2. I completed the exam today (20/20)
3. I have an excel sheet that I use to compile my trips overseas

Issue:
During interview with the agent she requested my passport. I gave her my 3 passports that I used in the last 4 years. She started to checking each passport and ask questions about the trips. At some point, she consulted another agent (I think it was her manager) and she came back showing me a report from CBSA with 5 trips that I didn't register in the calculator with the application. Re-checking everything after the interview I identified 1 missed trip at least.

Result:
She asked me to provide photocopies of all pages of my 3 passports, plus letter from the employer mentioning my role/responsibilities, motives of my trips and even salary. Also, she asked for Notices of Assessment from Revenue Canada for the last 4 years. Interview completed.

Action:
I will provide all documents required. Also, I have requested the CBSA report so I can show them the errors plus my excel sheet that I used to track my trips. I will prepare a formal letter to explain the errors and attach the info I have related to those trips in order to rectify my error. And take full responsibility of the outcome.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? or better alternatives? Please comment, thanks.

So you mentioned, that you have enough physical days in Canada (assuming 1460-273=1187 days) but did you meet the residency requirement after subtracting the 5 missing trips? You weren't given the RQ on the spot so may be you have enough residency days. You are on the right track. Since you have already ordered your travel history from CBSA, confirm that every trip mentioned there is correct. If you can only recognize 1 out of the 5 missing trips and are shortfall of days (less than 1095 days) then you obviously have issues to resolve with CBSA. Provide all the documentation that CIC has requested then sit tight and wait for their next request could be oath or they may send you a request to provide more documents. Other than that you cannot do much. Good Luck!!!!