+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry Visa for visiting India - Can I apply with receipt of submission of Surrender of Indian Passport

arav12345

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
Oh wow. I have travel plans for the same date. Applied for entry visa and they received the application today. Haven't booked my ticket yet as I am not sure if I will get it by Dec 14th. Did you go through a travel agent? would you share how you booked the ticket please . THank you and cheers!
Hi, I booked my tickets in October before I even received the oath date. I am going via LHR on British Airways and coming back on direct flight from Delhi in Air Canada. I just booked all tickets on the airline website.

arav12345

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
Oh wow. I have travel plans for the same date. Applied for entry visa and they received the application today. Haven't booked my ticket yet as I am not sure if I will get it by Dec 14th. Did you go through a travel agent? would you share how you booked the ticket please . THank you and cheers!
How long did it take for you receive the certificate? and how many days is the processing time for the entry visa?

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am in the same boat. Had Oath Ceremony on Nov 9 and my tickets to India were already booked for December 16th.
During the Oath, the agent said he cannot expedite certificate unless travel is less than 3 weeks away. So, the certificate came by mail on November 18th. Applied to passport on same day and via express process got it on November 24th. You can even ask them to give the passport earlier and explain you want it in 1 or 2 business days since its urgent. On the 24th itself (yesterday)I applied for passport surrender and entry visa. I will let you all know when I get the entry visa.
You can call BLS as soon as you know expected date of passport and they will give you a shipping label to mail your applications to BLS for the next day after you get your passport. I am in Montreal, so I got the shipping label for Ottawa. BLS uses Purolator for shipping. You pay for both sending and receiving documents.
I called BLS a few times since I had questions about documents etc.

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
How long did it take for you receive the certificate? and how many days is the processing time for the entry visa?
BLS told me entry visa takes 7 to 10 business days to process entry visa. Fingers crossed! Certificate can take 1 to 2 weeks. If your travel is less than 3 weeks from Oath ceremony you can ask the agent to expedite during Oath Ceremony. I would recommend explaining your situation to the agent during Oath Ceremony and request to get Certificate as soon as possible.

arav12345

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
BLS told me entry visa takes 7 to 10 business days to process entry visa. Fingers crossed! Certificate can take 1 to 2 weeks. If your travel is less than 3 weeks from Oath ceremony you can ask the agent to expedite during Oath Ceremony. I would recommend explaining your situation to the agent during Oath Ceremony and request to get Certificate as soon as possible.
3 weeks? Mine is a little over 4 weeks (oath on 23rd Dec and trip on 28th Jan). Hopefully I can try and convince them for a urgent processing (citing X-mas and New year holidays) and if I get my certificate by 27 Dec, I can apply the PP that week itself. If this doesn't work out, I do not see any other option other than rescheduling my oath ceremony.

Last edited:

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
3 weeks? Mine is a little over 4 weeks (oath on 23rd Dec and trip on 28th Jan). Hopefully I can try and convince them for a urgent processing (citing X-mas and New year holidays) and if I get my certificate by 27 Dec, I can apply the PP that week itself. If this doesn't work out, I do not see any other option other than rescheduling my oath ceremony.
The agent from Montreal told me they only expedite if travel date is within 3 weeks. I would try to convince the agent. If I had known earlier that I would have to surrender my indian passport and apply for entry visa to travel to India, I would have rescheduled my Oath ceremony. I did not know that the e-visa for canadians had been suspended and the grace period for using your Indian passport was not really true. There is no good information online. The last few weeks have been very stressful. But at the same time, I was nervous about rescheduling my Oath date because it took so long to get the date in the first place. I hope the entry visa comes on time.

nish050386

Dec 1, 2021
Hey. Did you add any document for " Proof of Emergency" with your Entry Visa Application ?
Thanks.

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hey. Did you add any document for " Proof of Emergency" with your Entry Visa Application ?
Thanks.
Hi,

I wrote a cover letter explaining that I want to go to India to visit family and that I had already booked tickets. I attached a print out of the tickets to the cover letter. The visa is currently under process.

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Hello guys I have question do we need biometric to apply entry visa ?

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hello guys I have question do we need biometric to apply entry visa ?
Hi,
I applied for the entry visa and I did not do any biometrics. When I called BLS and asked them about supporting documents, they did not mention biometrics either. Currently they are only giving short term entry visas, which may not require biometrics.

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Hi,
I applied for the entry visa and I did not do any biometrics. When I called BLS and asked them about supporting documents, they did not mention biometrics either. Currently they are only giving short term entry visas, which may not require biometrics.
Thank you for your reply

nish050386

Dec 1, 2021
Hi,

I wrote a cover letter explaining that I want to go to India to visit family and that I had already booked tickets. I attached a print out of the tickets to the cover letter. The visa is currently under process.
Thanks for the reply.

nish050386

Dec 1, 2021
Hi,
Hey. Did you receive your Entry Visa ?
If yes, is it for full 6 month ?

USIndian

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hey. Did you receive your Entry Visa ?
If yes, is it for full 6 month ?
I have not received it yet. They started processing it last Monday and it says "Under processing by High Commission". I will update my status here once it is approved.