+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry to Canada denied despite IRCC authorization

adiben

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
Can we travel back to Canada on TRV (with valid OWP). I applied for TRV from inside Canada (Edmonton, Alberta) on 25/12/2020. I have valid work permit till July 2021. If I get TRV approval, can I travel outside Canada and return without any issues? What documents should I get ready for smooth return to Canada?
Thanks!!

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on our progress.
Sorry about your family situation at the point of boarding....I had same experience when I presented my traveling documents at the check in counter of Virgin Atlantic Lagos Nigeria they told me that they will not let me board the flight till they get approval to do so from there Airline head office that they were only authorized to board Canadian passport holders and pr holders even after showing all the listed required documents as directed by ircc indicating that am exempted since am a spouse to a Canadian citizen wife and kids and also a property owner in Canada they said they will let me have the boarding pass but if they don't get a response before the flight departs that they will have no choice than not to let me be on the flight.

Moving forward at the point of entering the airplane they called me back and said I can't be on the flight because they have not yet received clearance to let me board and that they stand to pay a fine of $3000 if they let me on the plane and am refused at the point of entry when I get to Toronto.

As soon as the flight left barely 15mins they came running to me that the clearance just arrived that they are sorry that I should reschedule for the next flight for the next day at my own cost i asked them what was the clearance report they said that as a spouse to a Canadian citizen that am exempted ...but I sure gave it to them and they won't forget what I did to the fella for a very long time to come.the next day I flew and arrived Heathrow for my connecting flight i told the check in staff of Canada Air what I encountered she said they don't know what they were doing that I can sue them if I want that all they needed was to ask for my wife Canadian birth certificate and proof of marriage that's all.

When I arrived Pearson Airport they asked for my wife's Canadian birth certificate and our marriage certificate and ArriveCan receipt then asked me how long I will stay and if am based in Nigeria or Canada and that was it.

I advise you follow up with a webform they will respond back to you is possible the check in staff is not even aware of the rules of eligibility.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry about your family situation at the point of boarding....I had same experience when I presented my traveling documents at the check in counter of Virgin Atlantic Lagos Nigeria they told me that they will not let me board the flight till they get approval to do so from there Airline head office that they were only authorized to board Canadian passport holders and pr holders even after showing all the listed required documents as directed by ircc indicating that am exempted since am a spouse to a Canadian citizen wife and kids and also a property owner in Canada they said they will let me have the boarding pass but if they don't get a response before the flight departs that they will have no choice than not to let me be on the flight.

Moving forward at the point of entering the airplane they called me back and said I can't be on the flight because they have not yet received clearance to let me board and that they stand to pay a fine of $3000 if they let me on the plane and am refused at the point of entry when I get to Toronto.

As soon as the flight left barely 15mins they came running to me that the clearance just arrived that they are sorry that I should reschedule for the next flight for the next day at my own cost i asked them what was the clearance report they said that as a spouse to a Canadian citizen that am exempted ...but I sure gave it to them and they won't forget what I did to the fella for a very long time to come.the next day I flew and arrived Heathrow for my connecting flight i told the check in staff of Canada Air what I encountered she said they don't know what they were doing that I can sue them if I want that all they needed was to ask for my wife Canadian birth certificate and proof of marriage that's all.

When I arrived Pearson Airport they asked for my wife's Canadian birth certificate and our marriage certificate and ArriveCan receipt then asked me how long I will stay and if am based in Nigeria or Canada and that was it.

I advise you follow up with a webform they will respond back to you is possible the check in staff is not even aware of the rules of eligibility.
Totally different scenario as the person who posted is on a temporary work permit. Spouses need authorization to travel and can be denied boarding because travel is not essential. No one are Canadian citizens or PRs.

Reactions: scylla

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Totally different scenario as the person who posted is on a temporary work permit. Spouses need authorization to travel and can be denied boarding because travel is not essential. No one are Canadian citizens or PRs.
So sad but there is no harm in trying to do a webform.

mathnmusic

Star Member
Aug 12, 2019
Sorry, I should have updated this thread.

I went to my home country shortly after this whole fiasco, to ring in the new year with my family. A few days after, we decided to all travel to Canada together this time, and on a different airline from before. Guess what? We all arrived in Canada with no issues.

I made sure to go to the airport fully equipped with every document possible: the family's written travel authorizations (again), proof of my residency in Canada, work permit, employment status, job letter, Canadian driver's license, insurance cards covering my family, printed copies of the IRCC pages with all the travel rules and exemptions, etc. You name it. It turns out that I didn't really need to show much; the airline supervisor saw that I was well prepared with everything needed to get my family into Canada successfully. The first thing I even told the supervisor was that my family's travel is essential at this time and that they're exempt from the travel restrictions.

The main takeaway I got from this is that once all the relevant authorizations/approvals are obtained, it's likely a lot more effective if the family member actually travels to Canada with the Canadian resident rather than alone. I would suspect it's much harder for airline staff/CBSA agents to be separating families. However, I can't say for sure that luck didn't play a part in our successful trip.

pengsongtoufa

Jan 16, 2021
Sorry, I should have updated this thread.

I went to my home country shortly after this whole fiasco, to ring in the new year with my family. A few days after, we decided to all travel to Canada together this time, and on a different airline from before. Guess what? We all arrived in Canada with no issues.

I made sure to go to the airport fully equipped with every document possible: the family's written travel authorizations (again), proof of my residency in Canada, work permit, employment status, job letter, Canadian driver's license, insurance cards covering my family, printed copies of the IRCC pages with all the travel rules and exemptions, etc. You name it. It turns out that I didn't really need to show much; the airline supervisor saw that I was well prepared with everything needed to get my family into Canada successfully. The first thing I even told the supervisor was that my family's travel is essential at this time and that they're exempt from the travel restrictions.

The main takeaway I got from this is that once all the relevant authorizations/approvals are obtained, it's likely a lot more effective if the family member actually travels to Canada with the Canadian resident rather than alone. I would suspect it's much harder for airline staff/CBSA agents to be separating families. However, I can't say for sure that luck didn't play a part in our successful trip.
Thanks for sharing! That is very helpful, and I really appreciate it!

Reactions: mathnmusic