+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry to Canada as a new PR.

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
When a recently approved Permanent Resident gets a CoPR and VISA Stamp, leaves Canada, gets married, flies back to Canada, and enter as a PR, will it jeopardize any future plans of Sponsoring the new wife outland given the status changed from Single to Married?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It won't simply jeopardize his chances - it will make it impossible.

If he does as you've suggested - he will be committing misrepresentation (lying and committing an immigration crime) by landing using a COPR issued to him as a single person when he's in fact married. If he does this, he will never be able to sponsor his wife. Also, there's a chance CIC may revoke his PR status for the misrepresentation.

He must either marry after he lands and becomes a PR. Or if he wants to marry first, then he must return his COPR to the visa office, let them know he's gotten married and submit all of the paperwork and other supporting documents required to add his spouse to his application.

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
It won't simply jeopardize his chances - it will make it impossible.

If he does as you've suggested - he will be committing misrepresentation (lying and committing an immigration crime) by landing using a COPR issued to him as a single person when he's in fact married. If he does this, he will never be able to sponsor his wife. Also, there's a chance CIC may revoke his PR status for the misrepresentation.

He must either marry after he lands and becomes a PR. Or if he wants to marry first, then he must return his COPR to the visa office, let them know he's gotten married and submit all of the paperwork and other supporting documents required to add his spouse to his application.
So does that mean he has to land, then wait 2-3months for his PR card before even thinking of going out of the country and marrying?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So does that mean he has to land, then wait 2-3months for his PR card before even thinking of going out of the country and marrying?
Read scylla's post again. There is no mention of the PR card. Either you marry before landing and add your spouse OR you marry after landing and sponsor your spouse.

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
I had the same situation. I entered in Canada and now waiting for PR card to go back to home country and to get married.

Can someone please advise how to bring spouse to Canada earlier as PR process could take a year. Can I apply for her work permit/ visitor visa in parallel to PR application?
thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I had the same situation. I entered in Canada and now waiting for PR card to go back to home country and to get married.

Can someone please advise how to bring spouse to Canada earlier as PR process could take a year. Can I apply for her work permit/ visitor visa in parallel to PR application?
thanks
She can apply for a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor. If it's approved, then she can come to Canada and submit an INLAND PR app including an Open Work Permit, and stay in Canada with you during the process.

If TRV is denied, then you will need to go back to Canada on your own and sponsor her using OUTLAND method. There is no Open Work Permit with this process. She would need to wait in home country, until PR app is entirely approved. During processing you must live in Canada, but can leave for short/temporary vacations.

Reactions: amirshaikh88

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
you marry after landing and sponsor your spouse.
Won't marrying after landing entail that I got back to my home country and get married there? Which would also mean I need my PR Card before going home? Otherwise, I won't be able to enter Canada?

PS. I understand someone can courier me my PR card but that's a different point.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Won't marrying after landing entail that I got back to my home country and get married there? Which would also mean I need my PR Card before going home? Otherwise, I won't be able to enter Canada?

PS. I understand someone can courier me my PR card but that's a different point.
After landing as a PR but without a PR card yet, you can apply for a PR Travel Document in your home country, to board a flight back to Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
She can apply for a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor. If it's approved, then she can come to Canada and submit an INLAND PR app including an Open Work Permit, and stay in Canada with you during the process.

If TRV is denied, then you will need to go back to Canada on your own and sponsor her using OUTLAND method. There is no Open Work Permit with this process. She would need to wait in home country, until PR app is entirely approved. During processing you must live in Canada, but can leave for short/temporary vacations.

Thanks My friend

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016

one thing I overlooked. Is she has to apply TRV before marriage or can do after? In case of applying before marriage, can status change affect on TRV application or later applying PR from Canada?
Thanks

MiaMartin333

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
File Transfer...
30-06-2017
Med's Request
25-04-2017
Med's Done....
10-05-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2017
LANDED..........
25-11-2017
one thing I overlooked. Is she has to apply TRV before marriage or can do after? In case of applying before marriage, can status change affect on TRV application or later applying PR from Canada?
Thanks
She can apply before marriage (and should, as her chances of approval for the TRV are higher in this scenario). Waiting to get married and then applying for the TRV will increase the chances of refusal, as her ties to Canada will be too strong to prove that she will only be coming as a visitor.
If her TRV is granted before the two of you get married, she will be able to use it to enter Canada for as long as her passport is valid (given that she is granted a multiple entry TRV).