+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry to Canada after US deportation? Anyone been through Ca customs lately?

blackadder

Apr 16, 2009
I am a UK citizen/UK passport holder who was deported from the US after a felony conviction (driving under the influence) about 3 years ago. I'm aware that "technically" I cannot enter Canada because of this issue, but as a practical matter - as long as I keep quiet about it - how would they have any idea?

I would be flying from the UK on my UK passport and I've heard from reliable sources that unless you are a suspicious person the customs interview is generally very perfunctory (length of stay, itinerary etc.). I suppose my only concern is my biometric, machine-readable passport being "swiped" and me showing up in some sort of database. Does anyone know if that is a concern or if computer searches are done routinely for biometric passport holders from non-visa countries? Or, for that matter, would a computer search on a UK passport holder cover the US criminal database?

Thanks for any assistance you can render me. I really need to get over there for the '10 Winter Olympics.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

blackadder said:
I am a UK citizen/UK passport holder who was deported from the US after a felony conviction (driving under the influence) about 3 years ago. I'm aware that "technically" I cannot enter Canada because of this issue, but as a practical matter - as long as I keep quiet about it - how would they have any idea?

I would be flying from the UK on my UK passport and I've heard from reliable sources that unless you are a suspicious person the customs interview is generally very perfunctory (length of stay, itinerary etc.). I suppose my only concern is my biometric, machine-readable passport being "swiped" and me showing up in some sort of database. Does anyone know if that is a concern or if computer searches are done routinely for biometric passport holders from non-visa countries? Or, for that matter, would a computer search on a UK passport holder cover the US criminal database?

Thanks for any assistance you can render me. I really need to get over there for the '10 Winter Olympics.
CBSA has access to the USINS and NCIC data bases, so you take your chances.

PMM

blackadder

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks PMM, thats pretty much what I figured: spend the £400 on a plane ticket and pray they don't look to closely.

I had a friend in a similar situation (met him while getting deported) who went so far as to legally change his name in the UK via the Deed Poll process, applied for a new passport, and got back into Canada... but that is considerably farther than I'm willing to go just to see the Olympics. Pay and pray it is.

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
Just so that you are aware, Canadian Immigration have access to FBI and States records. They will ask you if you've ever been arrested. You can then tell them whatever you want, but under suspicions they will do a background check, and if you are caught lying, you can forget about the olympics...
I guess the final decision is up to you, is it all worth it or not?

israel007

Jun 9, 2009
if i were you i wouldn't take that chance. i have been into canada and know how things are done here. in as much as they are friendly, they are always on the look out. what you should do, get a credible thing that will take u there. otherwise stay back in uk.