+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry-level pharmacists salary in Ontario and alberta

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Now I understand, can you give me examples of those small cities or towns so that I can search them, it seems to me that I'll have to live and work in those rural areas
Focus on getting your PEBC and the Ontario license first because that will take some time and money. Once in Ontario, you can then focus on your job search and move to where your job is.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Focus on getting your PEBC and the Ontario license first because that will take some time and money. Once in Ontario, you can then focus on your job search and move to where your job is.
Agree that is a big enough obstacle and then you need to secure a pharmacy where you can do your practicums. Once you get licensed contact all the pharmacy chains and explain that that you are willing to move anywhere in Canada as long as you can work at one store and work full-time. Rental housing may nof be easy to find so look into that. Would anticipate most jobs will be up North. You will 100% need a car if living and working out of a large city.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hello,

Can someone tell me

- what is the average $/hr for entry level Pharmacist Jobs in both Ontario and alberta?

- how many hours pharmacists normally work a week?

- what is the average monthly life expenses for a single person living alone in both alberta and Ontario?(some details about taxes, renting, groceries.... Etc would be appreciated)

Please don't post results from the internet as they are either incorrect or outdated

Thanks
In which major Canadian cities are pharmacist salaries the highest? The lowest? I know that in all of Alberta, at least, the average pharmacist salary was $69,300 a year (as of 2005). I know that many American pharmacists get at least twice this, so I'm wondering how other Canadian big-city pharmacists compare.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In which major Canadian cities are pharmacist salaries the highest? The lowest? I know that in all of Alberta, at least, the average pharmacist salary was $69,300 a year (as of 2005). I know that many American pharmacists get at least twice this, so I'm wondering how other Canadian big-city pharmacists compare.
Salaries are less in areas where there are a surplus of pharmacists. Places in southwestern Ontario have the largest surplus of pharmacists not just cities. If you want the largest salaries and the chances of a full-time job at one pharmacy move the furthest away from large cities in Canada. There isn’t a set salary for each city. Would look at job postings in all cities to see what current salaries are like. Cost of living also is a huge factor in how far a salary will go. Sad that due to such a surplus mostly due to uncontrolled immigration of foreign trained pharmacists community pharmacists now earn less than they did 20 years ago. 20 years ago starting salary was 80k with a signing bonus of 10k+ and with access to an extended benefit program. The job has also gotten harder while staff have become less knowledgeable and competent in many cases. The expansion of pharmacies chains and pharmacies into grocery stores and big box stores that started in the late 90s has slowed down dramatically due to oversaturation and many small independent pharmacies will be forced to shut down so the surplus is going to get worse although it had become much harder to immigrate as a pharmacist than it used to be.

Canjour90

Star Member
May 17, 2023
Hi,

Please advise.

Ontario nominated me for pharmacist NOC. I received PR and am planning to move there by August.

Now, my concern is that if I am not able to be a licensed pharmacist( 3 years of process), or I want to turn a different path in my career, will my PR be cancelled?

Do I have the freedom to change my occupation if I still reside in Ontario.

Please advise.
Thanks.

canuck78

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Please advise.

Ontario nominated me for pharmacist NOC. I received PR and am planning to move there by August.

Now, my concern is that if I am not able to be a licensed pharmacist( 3 years of process), or I want to turn a different path in my career, will my PR be cancelled?

Do I have the freedom to change my occupation if I still reside in Ontario.

Please advise.
Thanks.

canuck78
You never have to work as a pharmacist again, if you choose.