+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry and Exit

rhetorisch

Jun 12, 2008
Hello everybody,

My query relates to documents to be presented on entry and when exiting Canada. Does one have to present JUST the PR card or the PASSPORT AS WELL when entering and exiting Canada??

Is there a stamp on the passport when entering and exiting or is it only recorded electronically?

Thanks
R

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I'm a US citizen. When I exit Canada I only show my passport. When I re-enter Canada I usually hand them both. When I re-enter by car they only seem to look at my PR card and don't stamp my passport. In September I flew from France to Toronto. They stamped my passport when exiting France and looked at my PR card when I arrived in Toronto. Last week I flew into Toronto from the US. The agent seemed uninterested in my PR card handing it right back to me but closely examined my passport, and stamped it.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
When entering Canada you need to show both Passport AND PR Card. Normally they don't stamp on your passport, however I always asked the officer to stamp my entry so that I have a record for when I apply for citizenship.

When leaving Canada, there is no 'customs' to go through, so no passport stamp.

janice todd

Nov 26, 2010
i have a question i need to uderstand i have man i am seeing we he applied for a visting vis and i stared on letter fiancee, now i am not sure why they denied him visa, but i am wondering if i was to go there and marry him will they give him a visa so he can come live with me here in canada any help you can give me i would appreciate thnk you for your help and time.
Hello everybody,

My query relates to documents to be presented on entry and when exiting Canada. Does one have to present JUST the PR card or the PASSPORT AS WELL when entering and exiting Canada??

Is there a stamp on the passport when entering and exiting or is it only recorded electronically?

Thanks
R

[/quote]

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Janice,

What country is he from? I've read on this forum that it's fairly common for spouses and partners to be denied visitor visas. Apparently the concern is that the visitor will overstay and remain in Canada illegally because he will be seen to have stronger ties to Canada than to home.

You can marry in his home country and then sponsor him through a family class PR application, but there is no way to guarantee that he will be admitted (without having his PR app approved yet) if after the wedding you try to fly back together.

Consider posting in the Family Class folder. You will get lots of advice about your situation and related stories of trying to get visitor visas for loved ones. It is a very active folder and lots of members will have similar issues and experiences to share.

Good luck and best wishes. Allison

janice todd

Nov 26, 2010
thank you for your reply he is from malaysia, and we had stated fiancee for a letter of invitation we did not we should have stated friends from what a immigration consultant said to me how do we go about applying for a pr application and do you maybe know an estimate on the cost, thank you for your help and time

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Check out this thread in the Family Class folder to get you started with the basic info for applying. The PR application fees total $1040 plus the costs of getting medical exams, photos, gathering required documents, postage, etc.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html