+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering the US from Canada using visitor visa

Therespkinb

Aug 25, 2018
Hi all,
I have recently done my landing in Canada and waiting on my PR card.
I have a valid B1/B2 visitor visa issued from the country of my previous residence.

in case i decide to visit my relatives in the US, does my US visitor visa work given the fact it was not issued from Canada ? Worth mentioning that i have visited the US multiple times before but departing from the issuing country.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you have a valid US visa no reason why entering from Canada should make any difference as long as you can be convincing that you will leave the US at the end of any authorised stay. Ultimately upto the US CBP officer you encounter and fact visa was not issued whilst in Canada irrelevant.

Keep in mind that without a PR card you will not be able to board a flight back to Canada so will need to come back via a land border. Guessing you might not have the time or inclination to apply for a PRTd whilst in the US which would be the alternative.

Reactions: Therespkinb

Therespkinb

Aug 25, 2018
If you have a valid US visa no reason why entering from Canada should make any difference as long as you can be convincing that you will leave the US at the end of any authorised stay. Ultimately upto the US CBP officer you encounter and fact visa was not issued whilst in Canada irrelevant.

Keep in mind that without a PR card you will not be able to board a flight back to Canada so will need to come back via a land border. Guessing you might not have the time or inclination to apply for a PRTd whilst in the US which would be the alternative.
Thank you very much. I am planning to travel to US in the summer and I guess i will be having my PR card issued by then. My only concern was the issuing country and that fact seems to be irrelevant.

I have heard friends telling me that I have to validate my US visa in the US embassy in Canada since it was not issued from there, re-stamping or something, is that a valid statement ?