+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
Hello,

I am flying into Montreal (then onto Halifax) on the 10th of October from London, England.

I've seen a few people saying that you need a "reason" to enter, is this true?

I am going there just to be with my Common Law partner, there is no other "reason" than that.

I hope this makes sense.

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
No reason needed per se, but you need proof you are in fact common-law partners as well as a 14-day quarantine plan.
That we have.

We literally have a cabin the woods lol (her mums cottage)

Our proof is, we both have 1 year of bank statements (individual but to the same address) same for pay stubs/slips and we also have government letters/amazon invoices all to the same address. She will also be with at the border as we are flying together.

So, I am hoping and praying that is enough to convince them.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
That we have.

We literally have a cabin the woods lol (her mums cottage)

Our proof is, we both have 1 year of bank statements (individual but to the same address) same for pay stubs/slips and we also have government letters/amazon invoices all to the same address. She will also be with at the border as we are flying together.

So, I am hoping and praying that is enough to convince them.
The airline will more than likely call to confirm you’re ok to board with the CBSA even BEFORE you get on the plane
If you aren’t allowed , the CBSA will say so then

Reactions: myers1811

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
The airline will more than likely call to confirm you’re ok to board with the CBSA even BEFORE you get on the plane
If you aren’t allowed , the CBSA will say so then
Ahh, so if the airline let me know board, I SHOULD be okay when I get to the border?

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
Haha, I just called the CBSA myself and they did it should be fine.

But of course, it's up to the agent.

Amy-AK

Sep 25, 2020
Hello.

I am an international student who is planning to travel directly from Istanbul to Montreal and then I need to take a direct airport bus or train to go to Ottawa where I will self-Isolate for two weeks.

My question is, Am I allowed as an international student who had just landed in Canada to use the bus/train from Montreal to Ottawa? please note that my college has no pick-up services outside of Ottawa.

Looking forward to a clear answer.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello.

I am an international student who is planning to travel directly from Istanbul to Montreal and then I need to take a direct airport bus or train to go to Ottawa where I will self-Isolate for two weeks.

My question is, Am I allowed as an international student who had just landed in Canada to use the bus/train from Montreal to Ottawa? please note that my college has no pick-up services outside of Ottawa.

Looking forward to a clear answer.

Thank you
No you are not allowed to take any public transportation. You either need to pay for a private car to Ottawa or fly which would be the best option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No you are not allowed to take any public transportation. You either need to pay for a private car to Ottawa or fly which would be the best option.
Could I ask for the source for that? The GoC instructions on this are not so specific.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

• Go directly to your place of quarantine without delay and stay there for the duration of your quarantine.
  • Practise physical distancing at all times.
  • Avoid stops and contact with others while in transit to quarantine:
    • Use a private vehicle if possible
    • Pay at the pump for gas and use drive through when you need food
    • Wear a suitable non-medical mask or face covering at all times unless you are alone in a private vehicle
This states clearly one should go by private vehicle if possible, and does mandate that one must wear a mask at all times when out of one's private vehicle.

That would seem to imply that public transport (bus, train) is acceptable subject to mask-ing.

I have not looked though at whether there are more specific regs, especially provincial, which may be important in Quebec/Ontario.

(Note: I'm fully in agreement that flying to Ottawa from MTL would be better and vehicle transit in a private vehicle far, far preferable to bus or train. I just don't see that it's actually forbidden.)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Apart from the logistical issue, note that as a student, you may not be able to go directly to dorms or other student housing - government quarantine rules include this:
"For example, do not quarantine in:
  • a group or communal living setting, including camps or students dorms unless the location is pre-authorized;"
You absolutely should check in advance that any student housing is 'pre-authorized'. That would mean I presume by checking through the educational institution.

Amy-AK

Sep 25, 2020
This is understood. Could you please recommend me with a reliable car pick up service I can use to take me from Montreal to Ottawa?

Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is understood. Could you please recommend me with a reliable car pick up service I can use to take me from Montreal to Ottawa?

Thank you in advance.
You'll need to do some research and call around. I would try airport limo companies. It's not a typical service. It may be less expensive to fly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could I ask for the source for that? The GoC instructions on this are not so specific.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

This states clearly one should go by private vehicle if possible, and does mandate that one must wear a mask at all times when out of one's private vehicle.

That would seem to imply that public transport (bus, train) is acceptable subject to mask-ing.

I have not looked though at whether there are more specific regs, especially provincial, which may be important in Quebec/Ontario.

(Note: I'm fully in agreement that flying to Ottawa from MTL would be better and vehicle transit in a private vehicle far, far preferable to bus or train. I just don't see that it's actually forbidden.)
Public transportation is definitely not acceptable even with masking. What you quoted suggests that use of something like uber or a taxi is acceptable although not ideal even with masks. Going straight to your destination doesn't involve taking transportation to to a bus or train station, exposing people at the station, then exposing an enclosed space like a bus or train car and then transportation from the train/bus to your quarantine location. Not taking public transportation is just common sense but you will also be asked at the airport how you plan on getting to your quarantine location.