+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada

sie1

Nov 13, 2010
Hello all, I was just wondering could someone with a just expired PR card enter Canada without a travel document and they are from England would there be to many problems ?

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

I doubt whether you can enter Canada as a PR with expired PR card and No Travel document
If you are a UK Citizen, then you may be Visa exempt but there may be other restrictions

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sie1 said:
Hello all, I was just wondering could someone with a just expired PR card enter Canada without a travel document and they are from England would there be to many problems ?
As long as you meet the 2/5 years residency you shouldn't have a problem.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline company should let you board since you are visa exempt. However, at the port of entry, you have to declare and enter as a PR. No problem entering with an expired PR card, but as PMM said a determination may be made whether you meet your residency requirements or not.

sie1

Nov 13, 2010
Hi, thanks for the replies I am a UK citizen but I have not met 2/5 rules and did not want to try for travel doc incase it is refused.
I did have to leave Canada a few years ago due to my Mother getting Cancer and then she died one year later and could not leave my Farther at that time.
On the Travel document they do ask for H & G grounds if any, but how could I prove this did happen?

sie1

Nov 13, 2010
Hello all, To enter Canada by air from a visa exempt country the UK with an expired PR card do you need a return ticket ?

sie1

Nov 13, 2010
Hi, Can someone out there help me with my last 2 questions??
Not sure if I should apply for travel document or arrive in Canada and try my chances with immigration??
My Pr card expired 11/06/12.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are from a visa exempt country, you do not need a travel document. You may however get lectured when you arrive at immigration but as you have not officially lost your PR, they must let you in. You can tell them you have mitigating circumstances, mother with cancer etc. and maybe they will not report you for not meeting the requirements. If they report you, you would have to appeal for your PR listing your reasons.

If you get in without being reported, you can stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving and then they will have to honour your application to renew your PR card because you will meet the residency requirements again. If you apply to renew your PR card before you have 2 years, you would have to list your mitigating circumstances and hope they agree.

sie1

Nov 13, 2010
Hi, Thankyou Leon for your help
Do you think I should get a return ticket incase the airline do not let me board or should I be ok? Phoned airline but knowone could help.
One more thing if you do not mind would I have to wait until I got a new PR card to get a BC driving licence in place of british one.
Thanks again for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are still a PR so you do not need a return ticket. Airlines never ask if you have a return ticket but immigration might. However, to immigration, you are a PR even if your card is expired.