+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with less than 2 yrs left to meeting residency requirement before PR card expires.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi Guys,

I decided to stay back in the US when priority dates moved significantly in 2020 in EB3 (PD-June 2013). But they retorgressed a few months ago by 2 years and now EB2 is moving forward and my date will again become current. My siutuation is, my new employer has started the GC process from scratch but the process is painfully slow now as a whole. PWD itself took 8 months and by the time my PERM is completed, I am looking at Jan next year(2023). Again, by that time, I am not sure if the dates will stay same or at least not retrogress.

I only lived in Canada for about 3-4 months during Pandemic and taking that into account, and also the minimum requirements for Canada residency, I will not be allowed after May of this year. If I enter in May, I will have exactly 2 yrs left on PR card's expiry date.

My question is, has anyone been able to enter Canada with less than 2 yrs left for meeting residency requirement before PR card expires? Is it possible at all?
Just in case, if some unforeseen hurdles come up by Jan next year (when my PERM is expected to get approved by), I am trying to see if I still will be able to enter Canada then.

Thanks very much in advance for your replies

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
RO is counted based in landibg date bot expiry of PR card so you may already be out of compliance with your RO. Yes you can enter with a valid PR card but can be reported for not meeting your RO.