+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada With Fiancee

joq

Jul 31, 2020
Hi there,

I am a Colombian currently engaged to a Canadian citizen. Back in January she came to visit me for a couple of months and we had planned on returning to Canada in July to get married and apply for inland sponsorship. Then all international flights got cancelled and she's stayed with me in Colombia for the past 6 months. The Colombian government has lifted stay lengths during all of this as long as foreigners return to their countries as soon as flights are available. I would like to return with her but unfortunately it seems as the current travel restrictions prevent me from doing so. I have a valid visitors visa but we are currently neither common law nor married.

I haven't been able to find any similar situation to ours online from what I've seen (both of us being outside of Canada and wanting to return together), so I'm wondering what course of action is available to us. We would like to not be separated for an uncertain amount of time so we'd like to return to Canada together. We have considered getting married this month so that I can return as her spouse but I'm worried that this might raise some red flags to the immigration official if we only just got married a month before flying over.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading and for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I am a Colombian currently engaged to a Canadian citizen. Back in January she came to visit me for a couple of months and we had planned on returning to Canada in July to get married and apply for inland sponsorship. Then all international flights got cancelled and she's stayed with me in Colombia for the past 6 months. The Colombian government has lifted stay lengths during all of this as long as foreigners return to their countries as soon as flights are available. I would like to return with her but unfortunately it seems as the current travel restrictions prevent me from doing so. I have a valid visitors visa but we are currently neither common law nor married.

I haven't been able to find any similar situation to ours online from what I've seen (both of us being outside of Canada and wanting to return together), so I'm wondering what course of action is available to us. We would like to not be separated for an uncertain amount of time so we'd like to return to Canada together. We have considered getting married this month so that I can return as her spouse but I'm worried that this might raise some red flags to the immigration official if we only just got married a month before flying over.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading and for your time.
Currently your only option is to get married if you already have a TRV. Getting a TRV can be a huge obstacle.