+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering canada with expired PR card via land border

deadinside

Mar 2, 2024
Thank you all for the inputs. Can I get any recommendations for good lawyers? I would like to discuss my situation and get some legal advice. I know this forum's owner is one, however more recomnedations would be helpful.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Thank you all for the inputs. Can I get any recommendations for good lawyers? I would like to discuss my situation and get some legal advice. I know this forum's owner is one, however more recomnedations would be helpful.
I can't provide a recommendation based on first hand experience. My only suggestion is to make sure you speak to an actual immigration lawyer, as opposed to an immigration consultant. You should also clarify that you want a legal opinion - that would usually involve a 30-60 min paid consultation. Expect to pay in the hundreds of dollars for such a consultation. Be wary of people who offer this for free.

Reactions: canuck78

deadinside

Mar 2, 2024
I just took some time off to understand the living expenses and calculate how much money I would need to save to live without a job for a year. In order to continue my current US lifestye as a single guy in Canada.

And I was absolutely blown away by how EXPENSIVE it really is to live up there! Just to give a quick rundown of my numbers -

Canada Expenses
RentCAD 2,000.00
PhoneCAD 100.00
InternetCAD 100.00
GasCAD 300.00
HydroCAD 150.00
GroceriesCAD 500.00
InsuranceCAD 300.00
RecreationCAD 500.00

That comes down to USD $36K = CAD $50K = INR 30Lacs per year just to have a middle class life!! INSANE!

I think I understand now why it's absolutely NUTS to move there WITHOUT a JOB!! And even with a job, I cannot imagine how high the salary would have to be in order to be able to save and invest money! Damn! I had underestimated cost of living in Canada till today. I don't know how immigrants without a job are surviving?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just took some time off to understand the living expenses and calculate how much money I would need to save to live without a job for a year. In order to continue my current US lifestye as a single guy in Canada.

And I was absolutely blown away by how EXPENSIVE it really is to live up there! Just to give a quick rundown of my numbers -

Canada Expenses
RentCAD 2,000.00
PhoneCAD 100.00
InternetCAD 100.00
GasCAD 300.00
HydroCAD 150.00
GroceriesCAD 500.00
InsuranceCAD 300.00
RecreationCAD 500.00

That comes down to USD $36K = CAD $50K = INR 30Lacs per year just to have a middle class life!! INSANE!

I think I understand now why it's absolutely NUTS to move there WITHOUT a JOB!! And even with a job, I cannot imagine how high the salary would have to be in order to be able to save and invest money! Damn! I had underestimated cost of living in Canada till today. I don't know how immigrants without a job are surviving?
How about move here without a job but with passive income? For gas, if one lives near the boarder, they can cross the border to fill up the tank. Same goes with groceries. For hydro, if you share with someone, your cost should be reduced.

deadinside

Mar 2, 2024
How about move here without a job but with passive income? For gas, if one lives near the boarder, they can cross the border to fill up the tank. Same goes with groceries. For hydro, if you share with someone, your cost should be reduced.
Other than dividend paying stocks, (which, if I calculate at 5-10% annual dividend, would need anywhere from $500K - $1M invested - obviously I don't have that much), I cannot think of any other passive income source. Were you referring to something else?

Also, I am in my mid thirties and generally stopped living with roomates 5 years back. I don't think I can go back to living with roommates without significantly downgrading my lifestyle.

As far as crossing the border, I cannot do that since I won't meet RO.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Canada Expenses
RentCAD 2,000.00
PhoneCAD 100.00
InternetCAD 100.00
GasCAD 300.00
HydroCAD 150.00
GroceriesCAD 500.00
InsuranceCAD 300.00
RecreationCAD 500.00

But even with an expired PR Card, you are still authorized to work in Canada. Why do you think you would need to take a year off?

deadinside

Mar 2, 2024
But even with an expired PR Card, you are still authorized to work in Canada. Why do you think you would need to take a year off?
Just preparing for the scenario of being able to sustain myself in case I'm unable to find a job, looking at the Canadian job market which is very saturated in Tech and economy is also not that great.

deadinside

Mar 2, 2024
I have another question with regards to the PRTD -

What happens if a PRTD is approved (due to medical reasons etc., after an appeal)? -
  • Is the RO clock reset?
  • Does the PR get 5 more years to comply with RO?
  • Can they apply for a new PR card?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Canada Expenses
RentCAD 2,000.00
PhoneCAD 100.00
InternetCAD 100.00
GasCAD 300.00
HydroCAD 150.00
GroceriesCAD 500.00
InsuranceCAD 300.00
RecreationCAD 500.00

Good for you for having this calculated and gained insight. 99% of immigrants still think this is the land of free milk, honey, healthcare and no worries. Welcome to reality.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

What happens if a PRTD is approved (due to medical reasons etc., after an appeal)? -
  • Is the RO clock reset?
No sure, but I have read (somewhere) that a 1 year PR card may be issued.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

• Is the RO clock reset?
RO do not get reset.
No.
Usually PRTD will allow applicant to enter (some people get one time entry some get multiple).
They can apply for new PR card but wit H&C approved PRTD some people will get a 1 year PR card. Then they need to stay for 2 years in Canada to apply for PR card renewal.
(I saw some that got 5 years PR card but that doesn't "reset" RO. The one I read about is because PA was a minor and got removed by parents. So PRTD was granted when PA became a young adult and can return to Canada.)