+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada while waiting for PR

Farncombe

Jan 10, 2016
Hi, I'm a British citizen living in London and married to a Canadian. She wants to return home this summer and I put my PR application into Missasauga at the start of this year. She's been accepted as a sponsor so that should all go through in a year or so.

But she needs to go back now - After trekking through the CIC website I applied for temporary residency visa and paid the $100, but the visa office in London rejected the application saying that British citizens do not need it. They were spectacularly unhelpful but said that I needed an eTA.

So, forum mavens, can I enter Canada on an eTA and be granted temporary residency when I arrive?

Thanks in advance

Confused of Guildford.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
Farncombe said:
Hi, I'm a British citizen living in London and married to a Canadian. She wants to return home this summer and I put my PR application into Missasauga at the start of this year. She's been accepted as a sponsor so that should all go through in a year or so.

But she needs to go back now - After trekking through the CIC website I applied for temporary residency visa and paid the $100, but the visa office in London rejected the application saying that British citizens do not need it. They were spectacularly unhelpful but said that I needed an eTA.

So, forum mavens, can I enter Canada on an eTA and be granted temporary residency when I arrive?

Thanks in advance

Confused of Guildford.
Yes, British citizens are visa exempt. You do not need a TRV.

You will need the eTA for sure if you board your flight after Sept 29,2016.

There is a leniency period until that date where you may still board provided you have proper travel docs (passport) etc.

On arrival you will need to demonstrate that you are just visiting your wife while the PR is in process.

Don't bring all your stuff and make it look like you're moving here before you have your COPR. You may also be asked to provide ties to Britain such as employment or assets like property to show that you haven't left all your obligations at home.

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
Farncombe said:
As previous reply, you can come as a visitor with eTA but you won't be granted temporary residency.

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
When arriving in Canada, I would avoid any suggestion that you intend to "reside" here. Before becoming a permanent resident, you are allowed in only as a visitor. This means that the immigration officer will need to be convinced that for the time being you intend to return to your home country. They may ask you when you're going back, and for that reason it's best to have a return ticket (along with ties to your home country that a visitor would normally be expected to have). If they suspect that you're actually trying to move here before becoming a permanent resident, they may step up their scrutiny.

Most likely, you'll be fine. My Brazilian wife arrived in Canada before becoming a PR, using her Italian passport. He just said she was coming to visit me and that there was a pending application for PR. She showed them her return ticket and they just said "Have a nice trip". And, believe me, she did.