+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada via land ( Bus) after landing

Chred

Nov 28, 2014
Hello Folks,

I am hoping to land early next week ( 01 Dec). After landing, I understand that I can only enter Canada via land route without a PR card. Does this have to be only by a private owned vehicle (personal car) or can I take a bus back to Toronto from Buffalo airport as well and have no issues without a landing document.

I will be in the US for the Christmas holiday weekend and will not be applying for a landing document. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Chred..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The key question is what passport you hold. If you hold a visa exempt passport then you can enter by bus. If you don't, then you either need to enter via a private car.

Chred

Nov 28, 2014
Hi.. I hold a passport from a country that is not visa exempt unfortunately. Is there specific information posted on the CIC website that indicates that I can enter by land only via private vehicle and not by public transportation? Thank so much..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can find this information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english///helpcentre/questions-anwsers-by-topic.asp?st=10.2&wbdisable=true

Since you are not visa exempt, you need either your PR card or a travel document to return by public transport. You can't apply for a travel document until you are outside of Canada and should allow at least a week for the TD to be processed (more if some week days are holidays).

Chred

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks so much for the information. I guess re-entering by Bus is not a viable option. Does the vehicle have to be privately owned or can i re-enter Canada via a rental car? I am planning to drive to NYC and back for the holiday weekend using a rental car

MBACanada

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chred said:
Thanks so much for the information. I guess re-entering by Bus is not a viable option. Does the vehicle have to be privately owned or can i re-enter Canada via a rental car? I am planning to drive to NYC and back for the holiday weekend using a rental car
I asked the same question at the border when I landed. These are the responses I received. Whether to try your luck is totally up to you
But for sure - The officer said, You can enter through your private car or you can rent a car

The only reason why you "may" not be able to come in a commercial vehicle is because as per canada rules, the transporter is responsible if a person had to be deported from the canadian border. Hence a transporter will not allow you to board the vehicle at the source if you dont have a visa...your immigration visa is striked out when you land

The officer said, as long as we can check your record here, you are good. So if transport do allow you to board you can always be let in once visa officer at the border check you out after questioning. But most transporter will not agree to travel with a risk