+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada to marry long-term Canadian boyfriend using TRV

Nov 2, 2016
My boyfriend and I recently decided that we will get married when I come back to Canada in June 2021. I am a Philippine national currently holding a TRV and I have previously stayed in Canada multiple times to visit him since 2016 (I was then a student in the U.S.) I don't think we'll have any problems proving the legitimacy of our relationship as we have a lot of documentation of our time together but I have some concerns about being able to enter the country. (Note: due to COVID, I will be entering as extended family.)

1. Should I tell immigration/border control about my and my boyfriend's plans to get married? Logically there shouldn't be an issue with this but I've been reading contradicting opinions on forums and articles and it's just about driving me insane. Some have said that they didn't have any problems while some have been turned away when they revealed this kind of information. I worry that I will be questioned and found to be lying and then be sent back to my home country or banned from entering Canada for a period of time. At the same time, I don't want to be truthful only to be turned away because of it.

I have considered entering simply as someone visiting their boyfriend and even getting a refundable return ticket to show them but I'm not sure if this would be enough. I have read some people talk about entering with "dual intent" but it's unclear to me how I, in my situation, could use this info. Any clarifications would be much appreciated as I am utterly confused about what the "right" way to go about this is.

2. Would they be concerned that I am presently unemployed? I graduated in May 2020 and very briefly worked but quit because I wanted to enjoy my time with my family whom I have not seen much of since I went away for high school and college. By the time I reenter Canada in June, I will have been unemployed for a little over a year. I'm worried I will be turned away at border control because I would not have any "ties to my home country". I am 23 and do not own any property and am essentially dependant on my parents still. This is why I'm considering telling the truth— that I am marrying my bf and applying for inland spousal PR—but obviously, I am worried about the outcomes of that as well.

This is causing me a lot of anxiety because I really just want to start a life with my soon-to-be-husband. The whole process seems needlessly convoluted—and this is just the entering Canada part! There is still the process of marriage and PR spousal application which involve a lot of paperwork and waiting time when I get to Canada.

Any kind of informed advice will be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Reactions: vaykres12

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend and I recently decided that we will get married when I come back to Canada in June 2021. I am a Philippine national currently holding a TRV and I have previously stayed in Canada multiple times to visit him since 2016 (I was then a student in the U.S.) I don't think we'll have any problems proving the legitimacy of our relationship as we have a lot of documentation of our time together but I have some concerns about being able to enter the country. (Note: due to COVID, I will be entering as extended family.)

1. Should I tell immigration/border control about my and my boyfriend's plans to get married? Logically there shouldn't be an issue with this but I've been reading contradicting opinions on forums and articles and it's just about driving me insane. Some have said that they didn't have any problems while some have been turned away when they revealed this kind of information. I worry that I will be questioned and found to be lying and then be sent back to my home country or banned from entering Canada for a period of time. At the same time, I don't want to be truthful only to be turned away because of it.

I have considered entering simply as someone visiting their boyfriend and even getting a refundable return ticket to show them but I'm not sure if this would be enough. I have read some people talk about entering with "dual intent" but it's unclear to me how I, in my situation, could use this info. Any clarifications would be much appreciated as I am utterly confused about what the "right" way to go about this is.

2. Would they be concerned that I am presently unemployed? I graduated in May 2020 and very briefly worked but quit because I wanted to enjoy my time with my family whom I have not seen much of since I went away for high school and college. By the time I reenter Canada in June, I will have been unemployed for a little over a year. I'm worried I will be turned away at border control because I would not have any "ties to my home country". I am 23 and do not own any property and am essentially dependant on my parents still. This is why I'm considering telling the truth— that I am marrying my bf and applying for inland spousal PR—but obviously, I am worried about the outcomes of that as well.

This is causing me a lot of anxiety because I really just want to start a life with my soon-to-be-husband. The whole process seems needlessly convoluted—and this is just the entering Canada part! There is still the process of marriage and PR spousal application which involve a lot of paperwork and waiting time when I get to Canada.

Any kind of informed advice will be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!
1. Just say you're visiting unless you're specifically asked more questions. You should definitely have a return ticket since you are coming as a visitor. The airline will most likely demand that you have a return ticket in order to board the plane and come to Canada. I assume you have already obtained an Authorization Letter from IRCC so that you have permission to travel.

2. It's possible this could be an issue. Are there absolutely no ties you can demonstrate? Can you show a decent bank balance at least?

Reactions: yellowflickerbeat
Nov 2, 2016
1. Just say you're visiting unless you're specifically asked more questions. You should definitely have a return ticket since you are coming as a visitor. The airline will most likely demand that you have a return ticket in order to board the plane and come to Canada. I assume you have already obtained an Authorization Letter from IRCC so that you have permission to travel.

2. It's possible this could be an issue. Are there absolutely no ties you can demonstrate? Can you show a decent bank balance at least?
1. Okay, thanks for your suggestion! We're just about to apply for an authorization letter and we'll book my flight tickets after we get approval.

2. I don't recall being asked about employment during my previous visits but I know it's possible they could ask on my next visit. I have two bank accounts—one from the Philippines and one from the U.S. both with some money, but not a whole lot. Do you know around how much is "decent"?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Okay, thanks for your suggestion! We're just about to apply for an authorization letter and we'll book my flight tickets after we get approval.

2. I don't recall being asked about employment during my previous visits but I know it's possible they could ask on my next visit. I have two bank accounts—one from the Philippines and one from the U.S. both with some money, but not a whole lot. Do you know around how much is "decent"?
2. They don't automatically ask for employment info but sometimes the conversation can go in this direction if they have concerns you are using the TRV to make a permanent move to Canada. If you are saying that you're coming for a three month visit (for example), then I think you'd want to show a bank balance of at least $5K (although more would be better). They are more likely to ask you about this than employment.

Nov 2, 2016
2. They don't automatically ask for employment info but sometimes the conversation can go in this direction if they have concerns you are using the TRV to make a permanent move to Canada. If you are saying that you're coming for a three month visit (for example), then I think you'd want to show a bank balance of at least $5K (although more would be better). They are more likely to ask you about this than employment.
2. Right, so I guess it makes even more sense to give the impression that I will simply be visiting so I don't get asked such questions. Also, noted on the $5k suggestion.

I have another question if that's alright. How many months is a good amount for a "visit" considering my situation (unemployed and not a lot of proof of ties to my home country)? I want to be as unsuspicious as possible.

Thanks so much for your responses!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You seem to have been a US student during your previous visits which created ties to the US and reasons for you to return. You may have been asked about bank balance or how you were going to pay for your trip to Canada during your past visits.