+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada thru' land border

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
Is it still possible to enter Canada via land border with an expired PR card and landing document?My PR card expired in 2013 and I've been outside Canada since September, 2015. I had applied for PR Card renewal in 2014 but received a RQ. I did not follow it through.I am thinking of coming to Canada from US in March, 2017 for a few days' visit only.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can correct me but as a PR you are still entitled to enter Canada given only PR cards expire PR status does not. You may well be questioned why you do not have a current PR card and may well be reported for failing residency if you have not accumulated the required number of days plus the outstanding RQ.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
puma said:
Is it still possible to enter Canada via land border with an expired PR card and landing document?My PR card expired in 2013 and I've been outside Canada since September, 2015. I had applied for PR Card renewal in 2014 but received a RQ. I did not follow it through.I am thinking of coming to Canada from US in March, 2017 for a few days' visit only.
If you are a PR of Canada, you have a Charter right of entry. Once they establish that you are indeed a PR, you have to be let in.

If your PR card is expired, then it may be taken as less prima facie evidence than a valid one, but it does contribute towards establishing your PR status.

If you are within your residency obligation, then that's it, issue solved. If you are not within your residency obligation, and this is established on entry, then although you still have a right of entry, steps may begin to be taken that cannot be stopped, which will eventually lead to you losing PR status.