+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada through Quebec/U.S. border

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
My friend's wife got PR through spousal sponsorship while my friend was living in B.C. She did the PR landing in November in Ontario (also got the SIN number) and shortly after landing she went back to India for vacation. Meanwhile my friend moved to Quebec (Montreal).

Now she want to enter Canada by road (from U.S., since she doesn't have physical PR card yet) at land port of entry at Quebec (St-Armand or St-Bernard). Few questions:

1) Would she face any issues at Quebec PoE because she got PR outside Quebec and now entering Canada at PoE in Quebec?

2) Can she be upfront and tell border office that she now intends to live in Quebec? I heard that PRs have mobility right allowing them to move anywhere in Canada including Quebec, is that correct? and does it apply in this case?

3) Would she have any problem getting Quebec health insurance because of moving from another province? (she hasn't applied for health insurance in any province yet).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My friend's wife got PR through spousal sponsorship while my friend was living in B.C. She did the PR landing in November in Ontario (also got the SIN number) and shortly after landing she went back to India for vacation. Meanwhile my friend moved to Quebec (Montreal).

Now she want to enter Canada by road (from U.S., since she doesn't have physical PR card yet) at land port of entry at Quebec (St-Armand or St-Bernard). Few questions:

1) Would she face any issues at Quebec PoE because she got PR outside Quebec and now entering Canada at PoE in Quebec?

2) Can she be upfront and tell border office that she now intends to live in Quebec? I heard that PRs have mobility right allowing them to move anywhere in Canada including Quebec, is that correct? and does it apply in this case?

3) Would she have any problem getting Quebec health insurance because of moving from another province? (she hasn't applied for health insurance in any province yet).
1) No.

2) It's not relevant.

As a PR she has a right to enter Canada wherever she chooses.

3) No idea, sorry.

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks @zardoz and @APPNOV2014NY

Some more questions:
4) She did not provided 'Good to Follow' list on her last trip (when she came for landing for a week). Would she be able to claim that she is now a 'settler' and provide the 'Goods to Follow' list? (settler: someone who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months)

5) If she takes a bus from U.S. and it takes her longer to talk to customs about 'goods to follow', can the bus leave her behind? or usually bus gives passenger enough time to clear immigration/custom? (note that the question is NOT about whether she will be able to board the bus or not).

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
4. Yes. I did same. I didn't submit custom docs at the time of landing and got those stamped in my 2nd trip to Canada after I became PR.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks @zardoz and @APPNOV2014NY

Some more questions:
4) She did not provided 'Good to Follow' list on her last trip (when she came for landing for a week). Would she be able to claim that she is now a 'settler' and provide the 'Goods to Follow' list? (settler: someone who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months)

5) If she takes a bus from U.S. and it takes her longer to talk to customs about 'goods to follow', can the bus leave her behind? or usually bus gives passenger enough time to clear immigration/custom? (note that the question is NOT about whether she will be able to board the bus or not).
5) Yes. They have a schedule to keep.