+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada through land PoE with COPR (PR card is expired)

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
I became landed immigrant in Jan 2018, and lived in Canada until July 2022 (3.5 years). In July 2022 I moved to the USA for work on non-immigrant visa.
My citizenship application is in progress and I will likely receive it in the next 6 months.
However, my PR card is expiring in Feb-2023 and I will not get my oath invite before it expires.

Now, my question is, after my PR card expires, can I freely enter Canada with just my COPR?
Can this entry be casual or does it have to be with intent to stay in Canada?
Can I enter multiple times with COPR without applying for PR card?

The reason is, I will need to be in Canada to take my oath of citizenship. Will I have trouble travelling to Canada with a expired PR?
The official CIC website does not list COPR as a valid document to enter Canada.

Thanks in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I became landed immigrant in Jan 2018, and lived in Canada until July 2022 (3.5 years). In July 2022 I moved to the USA for work on non-immigrant visa.
My citizenship application is in progress and I will likely receive it in the next 6 months.
However, my PR card is expiring in Feb-2023 and I will not get my oath invite before it expires.

Now, my question is, after my PR card expires, can I freely enter Canada with just my COPR?
Can this entry be casual or does it have to be with intent to stay in Canada?
Can I enter multiple times with COPR without applying for PR card?

The reason is, I will need to be in Canada to take my oath of citizenship. Will I have trouble travelling to Canada with a expired PR?
The official CIC website does not list COPR as a valid document to enter Canada.

Thanks in advance
For purposes of traveling to Canada using commercial transportation, travelers must present a valid document that is on the list of certain specific documents which show a traveler has authorization to enter Canada. So, for example, a PR must show either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to board an airline flight coming to Canada. For PRs these are the only two documents on the list that will enable them to board a flight to Canada. Other proof of PR status will not work.

If a PR can travel to Canada using private transportation, which is mostly about driving or walking across the U.S./Canada border, they will be allowed to enter Canada as long as they establish their identity and PR status. No particular documents necessary.

In particular, Canadian Permanent Residents are entitled to enter Canada. Again, no particular documentation is necessary. As long as the traveler arriving at a Port-of-Entry can positively establish their identity and their Canadian PR status, border officials must grant the traveler's application to enter Canada (an application made just by showing up at the PoE). With some exceptions (such as situations in which the traveler may be detained for criminality or security reasons).

Generally, for most PRs whose PR card has expired, presenting the expired PR card along with their passport, is the best way to document their PR status. However, PRs can also show other documentation, and presenting a copy of the CoPR is among the more common documents used for this. Moreover, for most PRs, even just a passport positively establishing their identity will suffice, the individual's PR status readily documented in GCMS; however, this may involve a more thorough examination in Secondary, especially if border officials see the need to more positively verify the individual's identity as the particular person who has PR status, as shown in their systems, GCMS in particular.

Of course not presenting a valid PR card is a factor which can trigger additional border screening, including in particular questions about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. But of course PRs with valid PR cards can be subject to RO compliance questions as well. How intense such questioning is, or how long this delays proceeding into Canada, will vary considerably, but mostly depends on the facts in the individual's case, mostly in regards to whether it appears the PR is in breach of the RO.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
For purposes of traveling to Canada using commercial transportation, travelers must present a valid document that is on the list of certain specific documents which show a traveler has authorization to enter Canada. So, for example, a PR must show either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to board an airline flight coming to Canada. For PRs these are the only two documents on the list that will enable them to board a flight to Canada. Other proof of PR status will not work.

If a PR can travel to Canada using private transportation, which is mostly about driving or walking across the U.S./Canada border, they will be allowed to enter Canada as long as they establish their identity and PR status. No particular documents necessary.

In particular, Canadian Permanent Residents are entitled to enter Canada. Again, no particular documentation is necessary. As long as the traveler arriving at a Port-of-Entry can positively establish their identity and their Canadian PR status, border officials must grant the traveler's application to enter Canada (an application made just by showing up at the PoE). With some exceptions (such as situations in which the traveler may be detained for criminality or security reasons).

Generally, for most PRs whose PR card has expired, presenting the expired PR card along with their passport, is the best way to document their PR status. However, PRs can also show other documentation, and presenting a copy of the CoPR is among the more common documents used for this. Moreover, for most PRs, even just a passport positively establishing their identity will suffice, the individual's PR status readily documented in GCMS; however, this may involve a more thorough examination in Secondary, especially if border officials see the need to more positively verify the individual's identity as the particular person who has PR status, as shown in their systems, GCMS in particular.

Of course not presenting a valid PR card is a factor which can trigger additional border screening, including in particular questions about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. But of course PRs with valid PR cards can be subject to RO compliance questions as well. How intense such questioning is, or how long this delays proceeding into Canada, will vary considerably, but mostly depends on the facts in the individual's case, mostly in regards to whether it appears the PR is in breach of the RO.
Thank you @dpenabill. Insightful as always.