+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada then leaving soon after

MowaMeadows

Dec 10, 2017
Hi

I have recently had my PR approved and I need to enter the country by the December of this year since this is when my medical will run out. I am currently applying for jobs but I may be at the point by December that I don't have anything that I'm happy with and would rather remain working at my current job in the UK until something comes up.

So the question is: Can I fly into Canada and get the relevant papers stamped before my medical expires and then fly back to the UK and keep working there until I get something in Canada secured? If so how long does it take to get everything approved once I land in Canada? Do I need to remain in Canada until I receive my PR card before being able to fly back to the UK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Scott

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you finish the landing process you are free to go back to the UK. You will have to provide a Canadian address for which your PR card will be sent to.

MowaMeadows

Dec 10, 2017
Once you finish the landing process you are free to go back to the UK. You will have to provide a Canadian address for which your PR card will be sent to.
Thanks for the reply Del. Will there be an issue with the immigration officer if I tell him/her that I'm doing a short landing and that I will have my PR card sent to a friend in Canada and then mailed to my address in the UK?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
This is called a short or soft landing and it's done all the time. You will need an address within Canada to send your PR card to since they will ask for one when you enter. The card can take something like 1-3 months to be processed and photos are routinely rejected, so most people doing a soft landing elect to just send their card to a friend or family member in Canada rather than staying and waiting for it. You may also need to consider a PRTD (PR travel document) in order to enter Canada again later on without your PR card depending on your citizenship and whether you are able to have your PR card shipped overseas.

MowaMeadows

Dec 10, 2017
This is called a short or soft landing and it's done all the time. You will need an address within Canada to send your PR card to since they will ask for one when you enter. The card can take something like 1-3 months to be processed and photos are routinely rejected, so most people doing a soft landing elect to just send their card to a friend or family member in Canada rather than staying and waiting for it. You may also need to consider a PRTD (PR travel document) in order to enter Canada again later on without your PR card depending on your citizenship and whether you are able to have your PR card shipped overseas.

Thanks for the reply. Ok so I'll probably land and give them my friends address and then get my friend to secure mail me my PR card back to the UK. If the immigration officer asks about any of this, which I'll obviously be truthful about, can he/she deny my entry and essentially put me back to the start again and I have to reapply all over again?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Thanks for the reply. Ok so I'll probably land and give them my friends address and then get my friend to secure mail me my PR card back to the UK. If the immigration officer asks about any of this, which I'll obviously be truthful about, can he/she deny my entry and essentially put me back to the start again and I have to reapply all over again?
I don't think so, as long as you haven't committed a major crime in the time between your application being approved and when you land! The worst I've heard is that the officer just wouldn't take an address to send the PR card to and told the person to give their address later when they moved permanently, but even that is unusual.

Teoyube

Jan 13, 2019
Hi all,

Quick question, I landed in December 2018 but had to leave Canada to the USA on emergency. Have a valid USA visa and my passport is from Ghana. I currently have a UK work visa and already bought my ticket today from USA to the UK. My husband in Canada just called and needs my attention ASAP in Canada. My flight is from Los Angeles to Toronto Pearson ( have a 4 hour wait here) and then to London, United Kingdom. Question is upon transit in Canada, can I successfully pass through immigration (CBSA), I believe I should be allowed to fly as my trip is to the UK with a stop over in Canada. I do not have my PR card yet and I can’t apply for a PRTD in USA. Please advise, I really need to be in Canada in three days.