+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada on expired PR card

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Hi - I have a Canadian PR status but have been living in US on work visa for last 5 years . My PR card expired in 2014 and I never renewed it. I have not been to Canada since 2012

Now I have a need to visit family in Canada and was wondering what are my options.

Can I enter Canada by road in a private vehicle with an expired PR card ?

Can I enter Canada and surrender them my expired PR card and also my status but expect them to let me in for one time before they take away the status ?

Does any of the above option have any chances of letting me in ?

I have no intention of living in Canada and would be returning back in days . I know that a visitor visa is apt for my status but I do not know if I am eligible for one and how long would it take in my situation.

Thanks for reading!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others will comment as this is my interpretation but first as a PR you do not need a visa to come into Canada and in fact could not get one anyway.

If you wanted to fly into the country or come in by public transport you would need either a valid card or a PRTD. The latter would be refused anyway given you failed the residency so no point applying and if you did apply would probably start the revoke process maybe making the option below problematical.

If you travel in a private vehicle with an expired PR card then as a PR still you would be entitled to enter the country but should expect maybe a secondary inspection and to get reported for failing residency. You can still enter the country but at some point if reported the process for your PR status to be revoked would be started.

As said as a PR you are still entitled to enter the country given PR status never expires only PR cards expire.

All this information is formally shown on the CIC site. Plus plenty of other posts on the forum on this subject so just make sure you have your expired PR card , passport and any other documentation recommended officially. http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi - I have a Canadian PR status but have been living in US on work visa for last 5 years . My PR card expired in 2014 and I never renewed it. I have not been to Canada since 2012

Now I have a need to visit family in Canada and was wondering what are my options.

Can I enter Canada by road in a private vehicle with an expired PR card ?

Can I enter Canada and surrender them my expired PR card and also my status but expect them to let me in for one time before they take away the status ?

Does any of the above option have any chances of letting me in ?

I have no intention of living in Canada and would be returning back in days . I know that a visitor visa is apt for my status but I do not know if I am eligible for one and how long would it take in my situation.

Thanks for reading!
Yes, you can enter Canada with your expired PR card by car. Just tell CBSA your situation as you've explained here.

CBSA may do a couple of different things.

They may simply wave you into Canada and tell you to sort out your PR issue.

Or (more likely) they would report you for not meeting the RO, which starts process to revoke your PR status (it's not instant). Process here involves you being allowed into Canada and given some time (i believe 30 days) to decide whether you want to appeal the decision or not. If you don't respond with request to appeal, then sometime shortly after your PR status will be officially revoked. So you could enter Canada while being reported, stay a few days, and return to US. Your PR status would be revoked in the background so next time you want to come you can go through usual visitor process.

Alternatively you can ask CBSA if they will let you in as a visitor, if you decide to renounce your PR status on the spot with them. If they let you in the scenario is basically same as above. If they wouldn't issue you a visitor status, then use your rights as a PR to enter Canada and just don't appeal.

Reactions: geniusmag

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Thanks you for your response. If I use my rights to enter as a PR , do I just show them my expired PR card ?

If I do not appeal and the PR card is revoked in the background , does that affect my ability to apply for PR or any other visa in the future.
In other words, is it seen better to have voluntarily given up PR status ( to CBSA or the consulate ) rather than having them revoked ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If I use my rights to enter as a PR , do I just show them my expired PR card ?
Sure, you can use that. Or your COPR. CBSA has several ways to determine your PR status, even just with your passport.

If I do not appeal and the PR card is revoked in the background , does that affect my ability to apply for PR or any other visa in the future.
In other words, is it seen better to have voluntarily given up PR status ( to CBSA or the consulate ) rather than having them revoked ?
I don't think it makes a difference either way. You should be fine to apply again for PR in the future.

Reactions: geniusmag

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Others will comment as this is my interpretation but first as a PR you do not need a visa to come into Canada and in fact could not get one anyway.

If you wanted to fly into the country or come in by public transport you would need either a valid card or a PRTD. The latter would be refused anyway given you failed the residency so no point applying and if you did apply would probably start the revoke process maybe making the option below problematical.

If you travel in a private vehicle with an expired PR card then as a PR still you would be entitled to enter the country but should expect maybe a secondary inspection and to get reported for failing residency. You can still enter the country but at some point if reported the process for your PR status to be revoked would be started.

As said as a PR you are still entitled to enter the country given PR status never expires only PR cards expire.

All this information is formally shown on the CIC site. Plus plenty of other posts on the forum on this subject so just make sure you have your expired PR card , passport and any other documentation recommended officially. http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
CIC Link above mentions documents required to prove identity and Canadian Citizenship. It does not specifically say what document can be used to establish Canadian PR when the PR Card itself had expired and one is entering in a private vehicle from US.

Can I use my home country passport - which does not say anywhere that I am Canadian PR. All I have is my home country passport and SIN ( which I think never expires ). Is that going to be enough to determine my eligibility to enter Canada from US in a private vehicle ?

I do not have any documents from the list below:
Acceptable documents to denote identity and/or citizenship
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and/or citizenship:

• NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
    • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
    • Canadian Emergency Travel Document
    • Canadian Temporary Passport
    • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
    • Enhanced Driver's License issued by a Canadian province or territory
    • Enhanced Identification/Photo Card issued by a Canadian province or territory

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Anyone can advice what document is accepted by CBSA when the PR card had expired and one is not from a visa exempt country so one must prove PR status to gain entry ? I coudn't find this information on the CIC website .

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Anyone can advice what document is accepted by CBSA when the PR card had expired and one is not from a visa exempt country so one must prove PR status to gain entry ? I coudn't find this information on the CIC website .
So if travelling by air you need a PRTD but if by land and if you show your expired card CBSA can check your status but to be sure read the link below. Of course if your card has lapsed and you have not met the residency obligation that is a whole different scenario. Having a visa exempt passport or not as a PR is not relevant if you are a PR.

Also read here anyway http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Yes I am planning to travel in a private vehicle by land. My PR card has expired and I have not met the residency obligation.
I am only planning to be in Canada for a week . My understanding is that based on above - I would be allowed to enter Canada but my PR could be taken away. I was just not sure if I must carry another document in lieu of expired PR card when travelling by land.

geniusmag

May 30, 2017
Thanks. I will carry all documentation required for my re entry to US.
I am just concerned with the documentation required to enter Canada since I would be traveling with my family and want to avoid being turned back at the border for lack of valid PR card.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks. I will carry all documentation required for my re entry to US.
I am just concerned with the documentation required to enter Canada since I would be traveling with my family and want to avoid being turned back at the border for lack of valid PR card.
Doubtful you would be turned back given as still a PR you are entitled to enter just possible to get pushed to secondary and as previous posts reported for failing RO but still allowed to enter.

Nobody here can of course guarantee one way or the other what might happen so just carry any ID documentation including your expired PR card to make it easier for CBSA to see you are a PR. CBSA may give you some hassle for having an expired card but they are only doing their job. Good luck.

gc123

Sep 1, 2009
Hi,

I have a question about my mum's PR card that expires in Oct 2017.

She will meet her residency obligation in March 2018, however in Jan 2018, she intend to travel to US (by private car registered in Canada) for about 1 week, to attend my son's wedding.

Will she have problems getting back into Canada with an expired PR card? and having not met her residency requirement by a couple of months?

Can she enter based on her passport(from non visa-exempt country) and landing documents? What are the chances of her being reported?

Please advice.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

I have a question about my mum's PR card that expires in Oct 2017.

She will meet her residency obligation in March 2018, however in Jan 2018, she intend to travel to US (by private car registered in Canada) for about 1 week, to attend my son's wedding.

Will she have problems getting back into Canada with an expired PR card? and having not met her residency requirement by a couple of months?

Can she enter based on her passport(from non visa-exempt country) and landing documents? What are the chances of her being reported?

Please advice.
With an expired PR card, chances are probably very high she'll be investigated for RO and reported, and process started to revoke her PR status. But she will still be able to enter Canada, since she'll be allowed to appeal the decision if she\s reported.

rink

Star Member
Feb 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB 17, 2010 (received by CIO)
Doc's Request.
April 8, 2010
AOR Received.
May 20, 2010
Med's Request
26-06-2012
Med's Done....
26-07-2012
Passport Req..
26-06-2012 and sent PP on Aug 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 15, 2013
LANDED..........
Soon
geniusmag,
Can you please share your experience if you were allowed to enter canada with expired PR card by private car?

Tessar

Apr 2, 2018
Me and my family has expired PR card and have not stayed in Canada as per residency requirements. Can my Son apply for Study Permit as international student ?
Please advise.