Entering Canada for training with expired PR card

Rusch

Jan 4, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Visa Office......
Orlando
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello, I have a question about entering Canada by airline. I’m a U.S. citizen that also has permanent residence status in Canada. I lived in Canada from Oct. 2010 to May 2015 and have not been back since. I do contract work for a company in Canada that would like me to move back to Canada and do some training in their office. My PR card is expired and don’t meet the residency requirement for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. I know as a U.S. citizen I can visit Canada without a visa for up to 6 months, but will my expired PR card stop me from entering Canada?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
As a PR you have the right to enter Canada, you won't be stopped however you may be reported by CBSA for failing to meet residency obligation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusch

Rusch

Jan 4, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Visa Office......
Orlando
Job Offer........
Yes
As a PR you have the right to enter Canada, you won't be stopped however you may be reported by CBSA for failing to meet residency obligation.
Would I have been informed by CBSA that I was being reported or will they do that after I enter Canada without telling me?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Would I have been informed by CBSA that I was being reported or will they do that after I enter Canada without telling me?
You will be/would have been informed at the time of entry.

Reactions: Rusch

Rusch

Jan 4, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Visa Office......
Orlando
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you. And would you know if my passport was stamped with a PR, date, and signature, can I apply for a driver's license and health card even with the expired pr card?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you. And would you know if my passport was stamped with a PR, date, and signature, can I apply for a driver's license and health card even with the expired pr card?
In theory, you don't have to possess a valid PR card to access services inside Canada but in practice that's not how it works out. Make sure you meet or will meet the eligibility requirements for health care.
You'll just have to try and see how far you can get. Your SIN may also need to be reactivated. Check with Service Canada.