+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada border through USA without PR Card

shah14

Jan 27, 2012
Hi All,

This is regarding entering Canada border through road from USA to pick up my PR card.

I did my landing in Canada in June2012 and spent 4 days over there and since then I am out of Canada. First I went to India in Jun/Jul and since July2012 I am in USA.My PR Card has now been received at my given canadian address in October2012. I am planning to go to Canada in mid December2012 to pick my PR Card.I will be flying from New York to Buffalo and rent car from Buffalo to enter Canada border.

1. Can you please tell if I will be allowed with COPR+Passport(Indian) at the border without any question.
2. what kind of questions officer could ask me and what should I reply.Should I tell him that I am going to pick my PR card and will go permanently Canada next year.

3.I heard that its on the discretion of officer to allow entry through border but that is only for PR residency obligation .In my case my PR is valid till Sep2017.Should I show him photo copy of my PR Card and SSN card as proof.

4. Can I enter with US nuber plate rented Car.

Would request Senior members to advise.

Thanks in advance.
Shah14

Centaur

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
shah14 said:
Hi All,

This is regarding entering Canada border through road from USA to pick up my PR card.

I did my landing in Canada in June2012 and spent 4 days over there and since then I am out of Canada. First I went to India in Jun/Jul and since July2012 I am in USA.My PR Card has now been received at my given canadian address in October2012. I am planning to go to Canada in mid December2012 to pick my PR Card.I will be flying from New York to Buffalo and rent car from Buffalo to enter Canada border.

1. Can you please tell if I will be allowed with COPR+Passport(Indian) at the border without any question.
2. what kind of questions officer could ask me and what should I reply.Should I tell him that I am going to pick my PR card and will go permanently Canada next year.

3.I heard that its on the discretion of officer to allow entry through border but that is only for PR residency obligation .In my case my PR is valid till Sep2017.Should I show him photo copy of my PR Card and SSN card as proof.

Thanks in advance.
Shah14

Hello, considering you plan to drive a rented car, it could be easily verified I suppose. Perhaps it might be better if you applied for a PR travel document with Canadian Embassy in US and travel. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
shah14 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
Shah14
Hi,

1. Yes, u shouldn't have any issues while entering with ur pps+COPR.
2. Just tell them that u r visiting friends & shall return for good later.
3. Relax... they wouldn't bother.
4. Yes.

Qorax
*This is in response to ur PM.

m_canada

Apr 11, 2013
Hi All,

I am reaching canada on 4th october on PR Visa.

Can i apply for US visitor visa for 2 day training on 6th or 7th of october?

And, can i again enter canada from US after two days on the basis of confirmation of permanent residence letter, as PR card will take couple of months?

Please reply asap.

Thank YOu

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Hi m_canada,
I don't think it is possible to get a US visitor visa (B1/B2) in such a short time frame.
Are you from a visa exempt country for USA?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
m_canada said:
Hi All,

I am reaching canada on 4th october on PR Visa.

Can i apply for US visitor visa for 2 day training on 6th or 7th of october? Doubt you can get US visa this fast. If you are from a visa exempt country you do not need a visa

And, can i again enter canada from US after two days on the basis of confirmation of permanent residence letter, as PR card will take couple of months? Not by air. If you drive your own car you can use the confirmation of permanent residence letter to return back to Canada. The PR card will take several months to reach you.

Please reply asap.

Thank YOu