+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada after 3 yrs and 2 months (Holds Permanent Residency)

nayyar_asif

Sep 15, 2017
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Hello Everyone

I obtained my permanent residency in 2018 (PR Card Validity: Aug 2018 - Aug 2023). I did a soft landing and left Canada. I had my tickets booked for this last April 2020 but due to COVID, everything got cancelled.

Now, due to some personal issues, i am foreseeing that i will not be able to come to Canada before October 2021.

Starting from August 2018, my 3 years limit finishes in August 2021. In order to validate my PR for the next 5 years, i need to spend at least 2 years out of 5 in Canada but as mentioned earlier, i will be coming in October 2021. That means that i can only spend 22 months in Canada out of 5 years. Now, following are the questions which i would really appreciate if could be answered:

1: If i come to Canada in October 2021, will i be allowed to enter? My PR card is valid till Aug 2023 but is there a possibility that border control police computes my stay period and concludes that my remaining stay period out of 5 years is less than 2 years and therefore, does not fulfills the PR renewal requirement? Will i be asked to leave or it isn't a problem until my PR card is valid?

2: Assuming that I am allowed to enter Canada in October 2021, so technically i only have 22 months at my disposal. Is there a possibility that a relaxation may be given when i lodge my PR application due to Covid? I had my tickets booked for coming in April 2020 and after corresponding with the airlines, my ticket was suspended. Is that can be an argument in corroborating my PR renewal application and justifying my 22 months stay period?

3: My entering date on my COPR document is June 2018 whereas my PR card starts from Aug 2018. So my stay period will be computed from the date of my COPR document or my PR card?

Looking forward and thanking in advance.

Nayyar

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello Everyone

I obtained my permanent residency in 2018 (PR Card Validity: Aug 2018 - Aug 2023). I did a soft landing and left Canada. I had my tickets booked for this last April 2020 but due to COVID, everything got cancelled.

Now, due to some personal issues, i am foreseeing that i will not be able to come to Canada before October 2021.

Starting from August 2018, my 3 years limit finishes in August 2021. In order to validate my PR for the next 5 years, i need to spend at least 2 years out of 5 in Canada but as mentioned earlier, i will be coming in October 2021. That means that i can only spend 22 months in Canada out of 5 years. Now, following are the questions which i would really appreciate if could be answered:

1: If i come to Canada in October 2021, will i be allowed to enter? My PR card is valid till Aug 2023 but is there a possibility that border control police computes my stay period and concludes that my remaining stay period out of 5 years is less than 2 years and therefore, does not fulfills the PR renewal requirement? Will i be asked to leave or it isn't a problem until my PR card is valid?

2: Assuming that I am allowed to enter Canada in October 2021, so technically i only have 22 months at my disposal. Is there a possibility that a relaxation may be given when i lodge my PR application due to Covid? I had my tickets booked for coming in April 2020 and after corresponding with the airlines, my ticket was suspended. Is that can be an argument in corroborating my PR renewal application and justifying my 22 months stay period?

3: My entering date on my COPR document is June 2018 whereas my PR card starts from Aug 2018. So my stay period will be computed from the date of my COPR document or my PR card?

Looking forward and thanking in advance.

Nayyar
1. Your 5 year period starts the date you "landed" not the date the card was issued. So June/18 to June/23 is the RO period.
2. On your arrival, if you don't meet or can't meet your RO you can be reported. You would be allowed to enter Canada, but would have 30 dates to appeal the decision. If you lose the appeal your PR status is gone.
3. No, the fact you couldn't fly isn't going to be an excuse, you had over 2 years to settle in Canada.