+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entered Canada via land showing PR card. No scanning or stamping passport. How is my exit from US recorded?

ankit.forum

Mar 12, 2020
Hello,
Me and my wife already have our PR cards for Canada. We relocated to Canada from USA for good and entered Canada via land border from the Lansdowne port (1000 islands bridge) in our personal car in February 2020. This was a permanent move to Canada from USA.

At the Canada side, the officer didn't ask for our passports. He just let us in looking at our PR cards. We imported our car at the CBSA. During this entire process nobody scanned our PR cards nor our passports and I am sure about it. At last, I requested a custom officer for a stamp and they gave the entry stamp on our passports.

Now I am worried thinking how is my exit recorded in the USA side since it was a manual stamp and not something in the system that would automatically share the record with USA? I have checked my travel history online and it still doesn't reflect my departure from USA. My I94 is expiring soon and if my exit is not recorded from USA, this could certainly be an issue.

Does anybody had a similar experience? It would be great to hear what are the next steps?

Thanks.

jeffofmn

Sep 18, 2019
Hi. The US CBP and CBSA share the exit entry information. I didn’t get stamped when I went between Vancouver - Seattle. I hold a US tourist visa. When I checked on the I94 website entering my information, the entry and exit record to USA were there.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
CBP used to have a physical address where one could send their exit record. But I think they no longer have that.

See this from CBP I-94 page.
If you have a paper form I-94 and depart by land, you can turn the form into Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon entry into Canada or to CBP at the port of entry prior to entering Mexico. If you received an electronic I-94 upon arrival by air or sea and depart via land, your departure may not be recorded accurately. A departure will be recorded if you depart via land and re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped in your passport. If you are not a resident of Canada or Mexico and you receive an electronic I-94 and depart via land, but do not re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped on your passport, you may want to travel with evidence of your departure into Canada or Mexico. Evidence of departure can include, but is not limited to, entry stamps in a passport, transportation tickets, pay stubs and/or other receipts. A traveler can request an entry stamp from CBSA when entering Canada or from the InstitutoNacional de Migracion (INM) when entering Mexico.

ankit.forum

Mar 12, 2020
Hi. The US CBP and CBSA share the exit entry information. I didn’t get stamped when I went between Vancouver - Seattle. I hold a US tourist visa. When I checked on the I94 website entering my information, the entry and exit record to USA were there.
Thanks for replying. It would be really interesting to know if your PR card was scanned everytime you entered Canada? I am trying to figure out how will the manual stamp in passport reflect and share the record in the system, as I am pretty much sure that my passport was not scanned, neither my PR card.

Also, do you already see some corrective steps that I need to do to correct the record.
I am fearing this because my Visa was denied extension in USA and if my exit is not recorded, this maybe an issue with my future entry to USA.

ankit.forum

Mar 12, 2020
CBP used to have a physical address where one could send their exit record. But I think they no longer have that.

See this from CBP I-94 page.
If you have a paper form I-94 and depart by land, you can turn the form into Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon entry into Canada or to CBP at the port of entry prior to entering Mexico. If you received an electronic I-94 upon arrival by air or sea and depart via land, your departure may not be recorded accurately. A departure will be recorded if you depart via land and re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped in your passport. If you are not a resident of Canada or Mexico and you receive an electronic I-94 and depart via land, but do not re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped on your passport, you may want to travel with evidence of your departure into Canada or Mexico. Evidence of departure can include, but is not limited to, entry stamps in a passport, transportation tickets, pay stubs and/or other receipts. A traveler can request an entry stamp from CBSA when entering Canada or from the InstitutoNacional de Migracion (INM) when entering Mexico.
Thanks for taking time to explain things in detail.
I did NOT have a paper I-94 since I fall under the category where I entered USA by air and departed from USA by land to enter into Canada. This scenario, as per your comment suggest that I need to have my proof of entry into Canada. Do you suggest or know already if I should make some efforts to correct this record?