+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter canada with work permit that expires in a month

Sherry_goraya

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Hi Guys,if anybody here can please give some suggestions regarding my situation here. I am currently on work permit and visa that expires on 15 Feb 2014, i will be travelling to US in december and then returning back to canada in January, will i have any problems entering canada back, as my work permit would only be valid for a month or so by that time? Also, i have applied for for PR under CEC and still waiting for my medicals.

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
You mean Feb 2015.
I don't see a reason, why you will have any trouble?
Is it an open WP or "closed" ?

If it is open, you might ask from your current employer a recent "employment letter" , showing that you are currently working, number of hours a week and so on.

Have a safe trip, don't worry :)

EDIT: Print also the AOR , that you got for your PR application. I doubt, that you'll need it, but it won't harm to have it.

Sherry_goraya

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Tonimir said:
You mean Feb 2015.
I don't see a reason, why you will have any trouble?
Is it an open WP or "closed" ?

If it is open, you might ask from your current employer a recent "employment letter" , showing that you are currently working, number of hours a week and so on.

Have a safe trip, don't worry :)

EDIT: Print also the AOR , that you got for your PR application. I doubt, that you'll need it, but it won't harm to have it.
Yes its a open WP , Thanks for cheering up Tonimir ;), i am just worried because they might have questions that your WP is going to expire soon and it can create a reason to stop me,I do have have the option to apply for BOWP, but i wanted to apply for it after coming back ,just close to when my current permit expires.

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
@ Sherry

I was in similar situation, but still travelled to US on coming back at Canadian border they didn't ask for work permit. They just look at your visitor visa expiry date, if it is not expired as on that date, you are good to enter. However, it is always safe to carry your WP, in case if they ask.

Hope this helps.

Wonderclicks

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
wonderclicks said:
@ Sherry

I was in similar situation, but still travelled to US on coming back at Canadian border they didn't ask for work permit. They just look at your visitor visa expiry date, if it is not expired as on that date, you are good to enter. However, it is always safe to carry your WP, in case if they ask.

Hope this helps.

Wonderclicks
I'd recommend having the WP as a must!
One time, I was coming driving back from the US and the officer asked me for my WP on the border, which I didn't have.
I explained to him that I didn't know that I must carry it. He claimed that it is a must to have it since he has to verify the work permit number.
In the end he let me go, but told me to carry it always.
Ever since then, I carry it always with me. I even have a scan copy of my employment letter. :D