+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada on TRV (instead of landing) after getting PR visa & CoPR?

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Hi all,

I currently live in the US and need a visa to travel to Canada.

I have a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV, or visitor visa) for Canada valid till 2027.

I applied through EE, got PPR, and am waiting to get my passport. I expect that the PR visa will have an expiry date of Apr 2020 (1 year from my medical exam).

I'm not quite ready to move to Canada before the end of 2019 yet, but wish to travel around Canada in, say, August 2019, for vacation (hoping to check out a few cities of interest for settling). Ideally, I would like to do the actual landing in March 2020.

I understand that soft landing is an option. I was wondering, however, if there are alternatives to soft landing. Specifically:

- Will my TRV be cancelled when IRCC stamp the PR visa onto my passport?

- If the TRV is not cancelled, can I travel with a passport that has a PR visa, and apply at the Canadian border to enter Canada as a visitor using the TRV, instead of landing as a new PR? Will this adversely affect my PR visa and CoPR?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

I have a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV, or visitor visa) for Canada valid till 2027.

I applied through EE, got PPR, and am waiting to get my passport. I expect that the PR visa will have an expiry date of Apr 2020 (1 year from my medical exam).

I'm not quite ready to move to Canada before the end of 2019 yet, but wish to travel around Canada in, say, August 2019, for vacation (hoping to check out a few cities of interest for settling). Ideally, I would like to do the actual landing in March 2020.

I understand that soft landing is an option. I was wondering, however, if there are alternatives to soft landing. Specifically:

- If the TRV is not cancelled, can I travel with a passport that has a PR visa, and apply at the Canadian border to enter Canada as a visitor using the TRV, instead of landing as a new PR? Will this adversely affect my PR visa and CoPR?

Thanks!
No, the TRV will not be cancelled. You don't HAVE to land if you don't want to, and your IM-1 visa should be unaffected until it either expires or you land.

lankyfellow

Jul 15, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks!
Agree with above answer and I am certain you can enter on TRV.