+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter as a visitor while visa office outside of Canada is processing my PR appli

CariocaDaGema

Apr 17, 2012
boaz said:
Thanks for your response.
My visa office is Tel-Aviv. hopefully i'll be able to do so because othervise it means ofcourse to fly all the way back just for that and get back to Canada - which is quite expensive...

Did someone did it (sent his/her passport) to the visa office back home and succeed?
I`d been successful sending my passport overseas and receiving it back with my visa stamped! :)
I had been visiting my wife in Toronto since December 2011 as a visitor, when we received the PPR (April 2012) I used FedEX to send my passport, the package included:
- Passport
- Passport request letter
- Cover letter asking for the VO officer in Brazil to kindly send my passport back to my address in Toronto, since i`d been visiting my wife.
- Pre-paid airway bill (You need to open a FedEX account - Bill filled up with their address and mine)
- extra FedEX envelope for return of passport

After 2 weeks, I noticed the return protocol was active at FedEX.
I received my passport 3 days later.
The passport was held by CBSA for only a few extra hours for verification, but released with no problems at all.

Yesterday me and my wife traveled to Niagra Falls to the port of entry (Rainbow Bridge) and I successfully landed as a PR.

The best piece of advice I can give you is: check your country`s laws and find out if is legal to send passports before you end up sending it. Losing a passport and having to wait more is not something you want to do!

Good Luck!

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
Boaz, you ar from a visa-exempt country, right? So you don´t have to send your passport anymore, since you will receive COPR.

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
I have a question as well: Me and hubby have kids, PR is in process, I want to move back in couple of months. What if HUbby doesn´t get PR by that time, do you think he will have problems entering Canada with us as a tourist? I will be working again, so we planned that he takes care of the kids meanwhile. if they deny him entry, then I don´t know what to do.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
What country is your hubby from? If the US, his chances are good.

boaz

Apr 29, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Cariocadagema for sharing your experience, it's sounds like a very usefull advice. from what you said I understand that you DO need to go to port of entry of canada and enter as a PR (whice means you can't simply get your passport bace without showing yor PR at a canadian port of entry...).

yes, i'm from a visa exempt country (Israel), but what is a COPR?

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
COPR is what you will get if you own a passport from a visa-exempt country (I believe it means Copy Of PR, not sure). In any case, it´s a new rule since last December, that the VO won´t ask you anymore to send your passport once PR has been given, instead they send you COPR, a paper with which you will land.

CHANZ.DREW

Dec 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
TOKYO, JAPAN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 8, 2011
File Transfer...
Feb 01, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 25, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 4, 2012
LANDED..........
June 12, 2012
When my husband was still process his paper he also applied for a Temporary Visitors Visa while waiting for his Spousal Permanent Visa. Most people had been denied but my husband had a different experience. He did not get denied instead they gave him his permanent visa without interview, without PPR (cause they already have his passport).....yeah got is one of the lucky ones....we are so blessed.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

boaz

Apr 29, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for this information.

I'm still not sure about one thing. should we leave Canada and come back through the Canadian border (any border?) to "validate" the PR or CORP we'll get?

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
boaz said:
Thanks for this information.

I'm still not sure about one thing. should we leave Canada and come back through the Canadian border (any border?) to "validate" the PR or CORP we'll get?
yes u should :) cuz in the moment she'll enter initially she'll enter as a visitor and she won't b automatically PR just by getting that paper....that paper (COPR) has a validity too...so in order to make her PR status active she needs to exit and re-enter Canada....since she would probably b already inside the most frequent and fastest way is by driving to the closest US border, exit and return (no need to enter in US unless u want to go for a visit ;) )

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
And there is another option... if the applicant is already in Canada and have valid temporary status, s/he has a choice of obtaining the PR status IN Canada by calling CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to schedule an appointment at a nearby CIC office. (Note: This is mentioned in my COPR.)

missmini said:
yes u should :) cuz in the moment she'll enter initially she'll enter as a visitor and she won't b automatically PR just by getting that paper....that paper (COPR) has a validity too...so in order to make her PR status active she needs to exit and re-enter Canada....since she would probably b already inside the most frequent and fastest way is by driving to the closest US border, exit and return (no need to enter in US unless u want to go for a visit ;) )

boaz

Apr 29, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's very good news...!! it means one DO NOT have to leave canada in order to validate his/her PR.. I was'nt aware of such an option and it's great to see it is availble.. I just wonder why no one mention it before? is it new policy by CIC ?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
boaz said:
That's very good news...!! it means one DO NOT have to leave canada in order to validate his/her PR.. I was'nt aware of such an option and it's great to see it is availble.. I just wonder why no one mention it before? is it new policy by CIC ?
It is a relatively new option (with GCMS).

Few people use the option because first of all you need to be from a visa exempt country (this is new as of Dec 1 2011 so that you can mail your passport copy since no counterfoils are issued for visa exempt countries) or be able to mail your passport (illegal in some countries) so not everyone has the option. Second, for those that do have the option, there can be significant wait times in order to land at a visa office. Therefore, since most people live a few hours from the US border they choose to drive to the US, turn around, and instead the border at their convenience instead of waiting 10 weeks or so to land at an inland CIC office. However, it is worth exploring as folks have gotten appointments in a week or two also.

There are additional details available in the Operational Bulletin at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob402.asp

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
GOGOGO said:
And there is another option... if the applicant is already in Canada and have valid temporary status, s/he has a choice of obtaining the PR status IN Canada by calling CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to schedule an appointment at a nearby CIC office. (Note: This is mentioned in my COPR.)
oooh really i didn't know either....i thought that option is just for inland applicants ::) good to know u!!! thank u :)