+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enquiry about selecting supervisor

Sargigaini

Apr 3, 2021
I Have done Btech Dairy technology from Punjab and i applied for MSC food science and MSC himan nutrition in the University of Manitoba, Canada.
It has been 3 months now since I have applied and i am waiting for offer letter.
I emailed the university and they said that the accepted depends upon if/when i get a supervisor. I am very confused on how to get in contact with a supervisor in a foreign university.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You look at the list of professors in the department, find out their research expertise and contact professors who match your research area and proposed studies.

Sargigaini

Apr 3, 2021
You look at the list of professors in the department, find out their research expertise and contact professors who match your research area and proposed studies.
And how long would they take to reply?
Because i have a feeling that i am late now

Sargigaini

Apr 3, 2021
Research? I do not have any topic for research. I have completed a degree and that is it... All of this is new to me and i am very confused about it all.
Do i have to have a topic of research or am i needed to chose from the ongoing research topics in the University?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Research? I do not have any topic for research. I have completed a degree and that is it... All of this is new to me and i am very confused about it all.
Do i have to have a topic of research or am i needed to chose from the ongoing research topics in the University?
Is this Masters program not thesis based?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is thesis based. What i thaught was that i would be asked to choose a topic after i am accepted in the University
If thesis based you need some idea of your research to align yourself with a supervisor. If you don’t have any ideas, then you will have to still contact advisors and see if they will supervise your thesis/research which you don’t know.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
And i can request how many supervisors at a time?
you can email as many as you want. the process is similar to applying for a job. if the academic sees that your research interests are aligned with theirs, they might grant you an interview and you can continue from there.

Sargigaini

Apr 3, 2021
Are the interviews strictly related to the research topics or are a bit general?

Also what is considered a good grade for University? Mine is an overall 7.33

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
Are the interviews strictly related to the research topics or are a bit general?

Also what is considered a good grade for University? Mine is an overall 7.33
the content of the interviews can be related to research or can be generic. it all depends on the academic interviewing you.

i dont know what 7.33 scales to. you can google for grades conversion tools online, but usually for research, the academics tend to look for an average of B to B+, as well as prior research experience, publications, patents etc.