+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enough proof for our common-law inland sponsoring?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
QUOTCan cic officer put a question like why didn’t you put as a common law because in my case I’m common law from 2 years but I don’t have enough proof of cohabitation?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the officer can ask you.. I see you're still trying to get the answer you want to hear.

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
No every couple has joint finances. That is a personal choice. You can explain that you each have your own money. Too bad you didn’t put your name on your previous lease but you seem to have enough evidence. It is very important to collect things like dated bank statement from the start of the cohabitation period.
Thank you for that explanation! I regret not putting my name on the lease earlier - yet we got notarized statement from Landlord so hopefully that's gonna be convincing enough.

We each have our own money, but I thought we can still use the fact that my partner is paying for rent (utilities etc included) as a proof of financial support, because he's paying for our apartment, therefore taking that burden off my back (?), use the fact of paying for different things during our travels as shared expenses (?) and use the fact of having joint common account with the monthly bills as shared expenses as well (?).

Unfortunately our common bank account does not go back to the start of cohabitation - it's not written anywhere in the statement or bank letter when it was created - but I know that they might ask about it specifically. Therefore, things which prove 12 moths of cohabitation are notarized landlord statement confirming that we live together since the day i moved in until now, lease on the name of my boyfriend, and lots of correspondence with documents and dates coming to that address for the whole period, including government issued stuff like taxes or even my visitor extensions which has been sent to that address.
I still hope we got enough proof.