+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enough proof for our common-law inland sponsoring?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello everyone maybe someone can help me please I’m in big problem

Me and my gf are living together from last 2 years. She got nominated through pnp and applied her pr but during this process i was not knowing about this common law category in canada . So now her medical is almost complete and she is in time frame of 13 months of federal file. Also we are getting married next month.

1-She can add me now in her application as a common law or wait and add next month as a spouse.?

2- is there any problem in application if she add new now as its long time we are in relationship as we were bot aware about this before

Thanks for your replies
Were you common-law at the time she submitted her application (had you already lived together for a year)?

If not, then it isn't a big deal. She has to add you before she completes her landing. You can wait till you're married and then ask IRCC to add you to her application. You will have to submit medicals and PCCs. This will delay her PR by 3-4 months. Just make sure she does NOT land before you're added.

You have no choice in the matter. If she lands without telling IRCC that she's married, she will never be able to sponsor you later, and can have her PR revoked for misrepresentation.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Were you common-law at the time she submitted her application (had you already lived together for a year)?

If not, then it isn't a big deal. She has to add you before she completes her landing. You can wait till you're married and then ask IRCC to add you to her application. You will have to submit medicals and PCCs. This will delay her PR by 3-4 months. Just make sure she does NOT land before you're added.

You have no choice in the matter. If she lands without telling IRCC that she's married, she will never be able to sponsor you later, and can have her PR revoked for misrepresentation.
Yes we were living 1.2 when she applied her pr and also if she adds me non dependent or dependent?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes we were living 1.2 when she applied her pr and also if she adds me non dependent or dependent?
Then she was supposed to add you at the time of submission.

There's nothing you can do about it now. Get married, get the marriage certificate, and immediately get added to the application. You are a dependent, of course.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Then she was supposed to add you at the time of submission.

There's nothing you can do about it now. Get married, get the marriage certificate, and immediately get added to the application. You are a dependent, of course.
We were not aware this common law thing before as I read these threads and came to know . Any there will be any problem because she is adding me know after almost 1.5 years ? Also I’m in Canada since 2015 on pgwp and working.I have all proofs ready way more than to prove its genuine but I’m just afraid about that they will ask then why she haven’t included me before because it’s just a long time now ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
We were not aware this common law thing before as I read these threads and came to know . Any there will be any problem because she is adding me know after almost 1.5 years ? Also I’m in Canada since 2015 on pgwp and working
Not being aware is not an excuse. It is clearly explained in the guides. It is your responsibility to know the rules - you can't say "we didn't know" and expect that to be accepted.

It may be an issue, it may not. If your omission wasn't going to negatively impact her application, then you should be OK. If, on the other hand, her adding you at the beginning would have led to her getting denied, it can still be an issue.

Anyway, you have no choice in the matter. She has to add you, or risk having her PR cancelled + never being able to sponsor you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
We were not aware this common law thing before as I read these threads and came to know . Any there will be any problem because she is adding me know after almost 1.5 years ? Also I’m in Canada since 2015 on pgwp and working.I have all proofs ready way more than to prove its genuine but I’m just afraid about that they will ask then why she haven’t included me before because it’s just a long time now ?
If you are able to get PR on your own through CEC, you can also be added as a non-accompanying dependent and then go through the process yourself later. Makes no real difference though, you'll still have to submit medicals and PCCs. You may as well get added as an accompanying dependent and get your PR along with her.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Not being aware is not an excuse. It is clearly explained in the guides. It is your responsibility to know the rules - you can't say "we didn't know" and expect that to be accepted.

It may be an issue, it may not. If your omission wasn't going to negatively impact her application, then you should be OK. If, on the other hand, her adding you at the beginning would have led to her getting denied, it can still be an issue.

Anyway, you have no choice in the matter. She has to add you, or risk having her PR cancelled + never being able to sponsor you.
What does that mean its all same thing add before or later its same process ? And what do you mean by negativity impact? have all proofs ready way more than to prove its genuine but I’m just afraid about that they will ask then why she haven’t included me before because it’s just a long time now ? Can you please elaborate

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
Hello everyone!

I saw that topic, and thought that maybe I could also get some advice from someone more experienced at this, as I am about to send my INLAND common-law application (Quebec) next week. I think (I hope!) we gathered enough documents supporting our relationship, yet some points on the checklist are still unclear. Maybe someone here could shed some light on it? Thank you in advance, this forum is so helpful!

We live together in Montreal since February 2018 until now. My partner is a citizen by birth, from Quebec, I am from Poland. I was here with international experience canada, now on visitor. We will try to prove 1 year of cohabitation feb 2018 - feb 2019 (after that, in feb 2019, I left for ~ 3 weeks to my country to visit family and friends, I would still consider that allowed temporary break and not a break of cohabitation, but with the immigration officers we never know apparently)

point 7. on the checklist: proof of relationship to sponsor

PART A

*rental agreement for both of us - we have a rental agreement for the NEXT YEAR (starting july 1st 2019, but we signed at the end of may) showing both of us as occupants
+ we have past rental agreement for the name of my partner (for last year, another one for year before)
+ we have notarized statement from our landlord, who lives next to us (so he can really confirm that) that my partner lives there since july 2017, that i moved in february 2018 and that we live there together since then

*proof of joint accounts - we have joint bank account (I got a statement from the bank confirming that me and him have a joint bank account at this bank - is that enough?). But checklist also say "submit a minimum of 1 bill" - can it be a bank statement showing what we paid for with the money on this account for lets say 1 month? - we have this account mainly for the groceries, we put money every 2 weeks and then pay for all the food we buy, or when we order something etc)

*copies of documents showing the same address - we have copies of documents showing the same address, both governmental and others (for the governmental - Revenue Quebec tax documents for both of us, for him from 2018 and 2019, from me only 2019 since it's I was on work visa in 2018 only - i believe revenue QC is provincial government department, so that classifies as governmental documents) + I have lots of other documents with my address starting from feb 18 and going through the whole time ("welcome" letter from bank just after we started living together, my phone agreement, receipts from french language school with my address, some document from work, medical records from hospital when I had emergency one time etc.). My partner does not have a lot of correspondence coming in general, but he has some and also he was on the rent the whole time, so I hope that's fine. Also, letter from friends (invitation to wedding) which came to both our names, but this is only written on the envelope - should I just send the envelope? Feels kind of weird as a proof, but who knows)

PART B - not applicable since we dont have children together

PART C

*documentary evidence of financial support and/or shared expenses: I find this one tough, but that's what I thought of:
a) financial support - the fact that my partner is the only one paying for the flat every month - so bank statement coming back to february 2018 showing that he's paying every month - can it be considered as financial support? He is not supporting ME technically, but he's paying the rent for both of us, so I don't have to do it + also, the fact that he was paying for my gym since november 2018, when we both signed up. We was paying monthly for both of us (I have the contract with the amount I owe the gym, he has the matching bank statements showing transfers that amount of money to that gym)
b) shared expenses - can it be the same what I added as a joint account proof (statement from the bank showing what we bought from common account within the last month, maybe underlining and explaining some expenses)? + would shared expenses from travels be fine? We recently went to south america, and I paid for one hotel, he paid for the next one, I paid for local plane tickets for both, he paid for train tickets the other day and so on... we could get bank statements matching with the plane or train tickets that I fortunately kept, and also matching the hotel confirmation which I can print from booking.com

*other proof - we have 5 support letters from family and friends, one notarized, one sworn in front of someone, and other 3 not notarized, but we will add ID copies of the persons who wrote then, I've read somewhere here that it's a good idea) + social media info (not too much, but we have 2 photos from our travels with a numerous comments of friends and family, so I'm gonna include screenshots).

Please someone give me any advice! My level of stress if that is enough is raising every day, at the point that I called a lawyer, who only made it sound like it's impossible without professional help and that we will probably make a lot of mistakes ;)

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone!

I saw that topic, and thought that maybe I could also get some advice from someone more experienced at this, as I am about to send my INLAND common-law application (Quebec) next week. I think (I hope!) we gathered enough documents supporting our relationship, yet some points on the checklist are still unclear. Maybe someone here could shed some light on it? Thank you in advance, this forum is so helpful!

We live together in Montreal since February 2018 until now. My partner is a citizen by birth, from Quebec, I am from Poland. I was here with international experience canada, now on visitor. We will try to prove 1 year of cohabitation feb 2018 - feb 2019 (after that, in feb 2019, I left for ~ 3 weeks to my country to visit family and friends, I would still consider that allowed temporary break and not a break of cohabitation, but with the immigration officers we never know apparently)

point 7. on the checklist: proof of relationship to sponsor

PART A

*rental agreement for both of us - we have a rental agreement for the NEXT YEAR (starting july 1st 2019, but we signed at the end of may) showing both of us as occupants
+ we have past rental agreement for the name of my partner
+ we have notarized statement from our landlord, who lives next to us (so he can really confirm that) that my partner lives there since july 2017, that i moved in february 2018 and that we live there together since then

*proof of joint accounts - we have joint bank account (I got a statement from the bank confirming that me and him have a joint bank account at this bank - is that enough?). But checklist also say "submit a minimum of 1 bill" - can it be a bank statement showing what we paid for with the money on this account for lets say 1 month? - we have this account mainly for the groceries, we put money every 2 weeks and then pay for all the food we buy, or when we order something etc)

*copies of documents showing the same address - we have copies of documents showing the same address, both governmental and others (for the governmental - Revenue Quebec tax documents for both of us, for him from 2018 and 2019, from me only 2019 since it's I was on work visa in 2018 only - i believe revenue QC is provincial government department, so that classifies as governmental documents) + I have lots of other documents with my address starting from feb 18 and going through the whole time ("welcome" letter from bank just after we started living together, my phone agreement, receipts from french language school with my address, some document from work, medical records from hospital when I had emergency one time etc.). My partner does not have a lot of correspondence coming in general, but he has some and also he was on the rent the whole time, so I hope that's fine. Also, letter from friends (invitation to wedding) which came to both our names, but this is only written on the envelope - should I just send the envelope? Feels kind of weird as a proof, but who knows)

PART B - not applicable since we dont have children together

PART C

*documentary evidence of financial support and/or shared expenses: I find this one tough, but that's what I thought of:
a) financial support - the fact that my partner is the only one paying for the flat every month - so bank statement coming back to february 2018 showing that he's paying every month - can it be considered as financial support? He is not supporting ME technically, but he's paying the rent for both of us, so I don't have to do it + also, the fact that he was paying for my gym since november 2018, when we both signed up. We was paying monthly for both of us (I have the contract with the amount I owe the gym, he has the matching bank statements showing transfers that amount of money to that gym)
b) shared expenses - can it be the same what I added as a joint account proof (statement from the bank showing what we bought from common account within the last month, maybe underlining and explaining some expenses)? + would shared expenses from travels be fine? We recently went to south america, and I paid for one hotel, he paid for the next one, I paid for local plane tickets for both, he paid for train tickets the other day and so on... we could get bank statements matching with the plane or train tickets that I fortunately kept, and also matching the hotel confirmation which I can print from booking.com

*other proof - we have 5 support letters from family and friends, one notarized, one sworn in front of someone, and other 3 not notarized, but we will add ID copies of the persons who wrote then, I've read somewhere here that it's a good idea) + social media info (not too much, but we have 2 photos from our travels with a numerous comments of friends and family, so I'm gonna include screenshots).

Please someone give me any advice! My level of stress if that is enough is raising every day, at the point that I called a lawyer, who only made it sound like it's impossible without professional help and that we will probably make a lot of mistakes ;)
You have more than enough proof to prove your relationship and also don’t forget to include some pictures of both of you

Reactions: KatiZet

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
thank you! of course we are including maximum allowed amount (20) pictures of us both, with family and friends also.

My question was specifically in regard to the: a) rent b) joint bank accounts c) financial support and shared expenses proofs, especially b) and c), since I was just wondering if what we send matches to what the immigration consider as a sufficient proof

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you! of course we are including maximum allowed amount (20) pictures of us both, with family and friends also.

My question was specifically in regard to the: a) rent b) joint bank accounts c) financial support and shared expenses proofs, especially b) and c), since I was just wondering if what we send matches to what the immigration consider as a sufficient proof
No every couple has joint finances. That is a personal choice. You can explain that you each have your own money. Too bad you didn’t put your name on your previous lease but you seem to have enough evidence. It is very important to collect things like dated bank statement from the start of the cohabitation period.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
No every couple has joint finances. That is a personal choice. You can explain that you each have your own money. Too bad you didn’t put your name on your previous lease but you seem to have enough evidence. It is very important to collect things like dated bank statement from the start of the cohabitation period.
If you can’t prove enough proof of common law is it better to get marry and apply or there is no choice?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you can’t prove enough proof of common law is it better to get marry and apply or there is no choice?
Yes if you don’t have enough proof in your situation getting married is easier. Both people need to want to get married though.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Yes if you don’t have enough proof in your situation getting married is easier. Both people need to want to get married though.
QUOTCan cic officer put a question like why didn’t you put as a common law because in my case I’m common law from 2 years but I don’t have enough proof of cohabitation?[/QUOTE]