+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Speaking

michminn1980

Mar 23, 2018
Hey guys!

So I am originally from America. I currently hold my PR and long enough so that I can now apply for Canadian citizenship.

My question is this. Am I required to complete the language test? I speak and write English as this is my first language. Is this needed for American citizens?

Thanks!

Have a great day :)

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hey guys!

So I am originally from America. I currently hold my PR and long enough so that I can now apply for Canadian citizenship.

My question is this. Am I required to complete the language test? I speak and write English as this is my first language. Is this needed for American citizens?

Thanks!

Have a great day :)
Yes. Every applicant has to provide proof of language knowledge.

The complete list of acceptable proofs are at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language

(Your high school transcript or university/college degree will likely be sufficient.)

Reactions: michminn1980

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks! Do they accept copies?
Yes, but you'll need to provide the original, potentially, if requested at the interview. (Although not likely) Usually when a transcript is requested, they supply it in a sealed envelope. That's what I sent. (I also asked for a copy for myself)

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Ahh, well I have my transcripts. I hope they take those? BTW, how hard is the test lol?
As easy as your fluency in english (or french...) if you read the book a couple of time and breeze through the free online tests :)
Nothing for worry about for the vast majority of applicants.

michminn1980

Mar 23, 2018
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

I have the original documents for my college degree. I plan to send both degrees and transcript to them.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

I have the original documents for my college degree. I plan to send both degrees and transcript to them.
That'll work just fine.

michminn1980

Mar 23, 2018
Yes. Original documents are only needed during the interview.
And the officer may just skip asking for your language proof if speaking with him is already conclusive.

Thanks! We have to interview hey? I was told you only interviewed IF you failed the Citizenship test.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
--- Will copies be okay? I plan to call them Monday and sit on eternal hold.
Yes. With your application you're to send a photocopy.

You'd take the original to your interview. And then there's a good chance they won't look at it, based on how fluent you speak (but you should still take the original). They don't ask for an original to be submitted in a closed envelope, the way universities/colleges tend to ask for, so if you have a transcript or diploma in your files you can just use that.

Thanks! We have to interview hey? I was told you only interviewed IF you failed the Citizenship test.
Every adult (even those who don't have to take the test on account of age) has an interview with a citizenship officer, after the citizenship test, during which they'll verify your physical presence calculation (against the stamps in your passport) and the original documents of which you sent photocopies.

They may also make a bit of small talk (to check your language skills, if that's relevant) and they may ask questions about your travels, your work, etc (to check if you've been truthful about your activities and residence during your eligibility period).

Some interviewers seem to be grumpier than others. I had a pleasant interaction with mine, but others found the interaction less enjoyable. In any case, this document check/interview tends to be quite short. Most people have maybe a 5 minute long interview, only rarely will it run to 10 minutes.

If you fail your citizenship test twice, you'd have a more extensive (and in some ways more formal) interview, which may be with a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge. That interview tends to last 60 to 90 minutes, so is way more extensive than the one that happens on a (regular) test day (Described at the bottom of https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html).

michminn1980

Mar 23, 2018
Yes. With your application you're to send a photocopy.

You'd take the original to your interview. And then there's a good chance they won't look at it, based on how fluent you speak (but you should still take the original). They don't ask for an original to be submitted in a closed envelope, the way universities/colleges tend to ask for, so if you have a transcript or diploma in your files you can just use that.

Every adult (even those who don't have to take the test on account of age) has an interview with a citizenship officer, after the citizenship test, during which they'll verify your physical presence calculation (against the stamps in your passport) and the original documents of which you sent photocopies.

They may also make a bit of small talk (to check your language skills, if that's relevant) and they may ask questions about your travels, your work, etc (to check if you've been truthful about your activities and residence during your eligibility period).

Some interviewers seem to be grumpier than others. I had a pleasant interaction with mine, but others found the interaction less enjoyable. In any case, this document check/interview tends to be quite short. Most people have maybe a 5 minute long interview, only rarely will it run to 10 minutes.

If you fail your citizenship test twice, you'd have a more extensive (and in some ways more formal) interview, which may be with a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge. That interview tends to last 60 to 90 minutes, so is way more extensive than the one that happens on a (regular) test day (Described at the bottom of https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html).

Thank you kindly for your informative response. VERY much appreciated! :)