Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi - I am beginning to gather documents to apply for Citizenship. Have been as a PR in Canada for the past 4 yrs. One of the checklist items was the Proof of Language. First of all, when a person is already a PR living and working in Canada, it means he/she cleared the IELTS before applying for PR. Not sure why again this is needed to show for Citizenship? Doesnt make sense.

Anyhow, fact of matter is - I do not have any copy of the old IELTS transcript, etc that I cleared when applying for PR many years ago. What am I supposed to do now?

I remember reading that Educational Transcript from abroad is also acceptable? Is that right? Can I provide my Masters Degree certificate/ transcript from outside Canada?

Please advise.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
First of all, when a person is already a PR living and working in Canada, it means he/she cleared the IELTS before applying for PR. Not sure why again this is needed to show for Citizenship? Doesnt make sense.
I got PR through one of the PNP programs without submitting any language test results. Hope it makes sense :)

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
I got PR through one of the PNP programs without submitting any language test results. Hope it makes sense :)
No. Doesnt make sense still. WHen i applied for PR, it was clearly mentioned if IELTS results are not attached, application will NOT be processed. May be, it depends on the country you apply PR from... some need and some dont need IELTS... I dont know..

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
No. Doesnt make sense still. WHen i applied for PR, it was clearly mentioned if IELTS results are not attached, application will NOT be processed. May be, it depends on the country you apply PR from... some need and some dont need IELTS... I dont know..
Not all PR streams require language proof. That's why IRCC accepts expired IELTS results, if you have submitted them in the past.

Transcript/Degrees from abroad are accepted, however it is unclear whether the documents need to explicitly indicate that the medium of instruction at the college/university was English/French. It used to be a hard requirement under bill C24 regulation. The documents printed in English do not really imply that medium was also English.

Please read the instruction guide.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Canada has over 60 immigration programs with different requirements. FYI, I am from India ( same as you I guess)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. You seem to forget that the dependents of Skilled workers didn't do an English/French, neither did any of the family class applicants which has greater numbers than the Economic streams.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Seems like the discussion is going all over the place, except the main question that I was trying to ask -

I just wanted to know what are the options that applicants gave for English proof for CITIZENSHIP. I just wanted to know if anyone gave Educational Qualifications taken outside Canada as Proof and whether it was accepted and so on... ?

I am not interested to know/ask about English requirements for PR and other programs. Please let me know about Citizenship Language proof...

Thank you for your co-operation.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Seems like the discussion is going all over the place, except the main question that I was trying to ask -

I just wanted to know what are the options that applicants gave for English proof for CITIZENSHIP. I just wanted to know if anyone gave Educational Qualifications taken outside Canada as Proof and whether it was accepted and so on... ?

I am not interested to know/ask about English requirements for PR and other programs. Please let me know about Citizenship Language proof...

Thank you for your co-operation.
Why not open the instruction guide and read ? Answer is very clear.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Language Requirement
    1. All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French). If you are 18-54 years of age and unable to demonstrate that you have the necessary English or French language ability due to a medical condition, this requirement may be waived. You must submit supporting evidence with your application.

If you do not have proof of language proficiency or the language level needed, you can take a government-funded language program to help you improve your language skills to get a certificate at a level of CLB/NCLC 4.

Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 is considered “Basic Proficiency” and means an individual can:
      • take part in short, everyday conversations about common topics
      • understand simple instructions, questions and directions
      • use basic grammar, including simple structures and tenses and show that you know enough common words and phrases to answer questions and express yourself
      Choose one of the following types of language proof to submit with your application:
      1. Results from a third-party language test

Your language test result must be equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 or higher in speaking and listening. If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

Examples of third-party tests include:
        • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking).
          • If you took the test after April 1, 2014, you must have a score of level 4 or higher in listening and speaking.
          • If you took the test before April 1, 2014, you must have a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
        • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have a score of:
          • 4.0 or higher in speaking and
          • 4.5 or higher in listening. (Note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)
      2. You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.
        • A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
        • If the original document is in a different language, include:
          • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
          • an official translation of the original document and
          • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
I already read that.

what i am wondering is - If i attach my (lets say) Highest Education Degree certificate taken outside Canada, how will CIC determine what language I completed the Degree in?? Just because the Transcript or Degree is written in English, does it always mean everything was taught in English??

If that is something I need to worry about or bother about, then fine (may be i am thinking too much).

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I already read that.

what i am wondering is - If i attach my (lets say) Highest Education Degree certificate taken outside Canada, how will CIC determine what language I completed the Degree in?? Just because the Transcript or Degree is written in English, does it always mean everything was taught in English??

If that is something I need to worry about or bother about, then fine (may be i am thinking too much).
As I mentioned in my first post, that part is unclear. Previously, it was a hard requirement under bill C24 rules to get a letter from the college or university that explicitly states the medium of instruction was English or French. Some people here got such a letter from their school, while others risked sending without it. We don't know if acceptable without.

Transcript printed in English does not automatically imply the medium was also English, unless you maybe studied in US, UK, Australia, Canada.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
OK Yeah.. that is what not clear.

Well.. I do have a Letter from my Institution clearly stating that the Medium of instruction was ENGLISH. Should it suffice?

I did take IELTS before applying PR, but I do not have the transcript of that.. (lost it). British council wont give another copy either. I did submit that when applying for PR. So, they should already have it against my PR application. You see these are the things that look primitive in this age and technology. If they do a query against the Database, they will get my IELTS proof.

Anyhow, thanks. Let me see what i can do..

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
OK Yeah.. that is what not clear.

Well.. I do have a Letter from my Institution clearly stating that the Medium of instruction was ENGLISH. Should it suffice?

I did take IELTS before applying PR, but I do not have the transcript of that.. (lost it). British council wont give another copy either. I did submit that when applying for PR. So, they should already have it against my PR application. You see these are the things that look primitive in this age and technology. If they do a query against the Database, they will get my IELTS proof.

Anyhow, thanks. Let me see what i can do..
Letter + Degree/Diploma/Official transcript will suffice. Make sure you have originals, because they will be checked during the interview. Good luck

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
OK. Thank you once again. I will keep that in mind. Much appreciated!