Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Hi all,

I have come across mixed views on certain proofs with regards to the captioned topic. I come from a non English speaking country, possess an engineering degree which is in English.

Few questions:

1. Can I simply attach the degree copy. Will it serve the purpose. Has anyone done that ! Nowhere on the degree is mentioned the medium whether education was done in English or ! But in all Engineering universities English is the medium of education at my place.
2. I also got my degree assessed by CCPE (Canadian Council of Professional Engineers) for immigration purposes and result was positive. Will attaching that result with my degree can be an acceptable proof !
3. Do I have to attach the transcripts copies as well or just the degree !
4. I have done CLBPC ( Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test) with all 8. Can it be sent as proof !
5. LINC conducts free English language assessment test, result of which is delivered right away. Can this result be produced as proof. I have read somewhere on the forum that just the test result is not acceptable but one has to attend the full course also ! How far it is correct. Please advise.

Quick reply shall be much appreciated.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@Hasni:

1. Not required
2. Not required
3. Not required
4. CLB 4 and above is the requirement. Yes, attaching it's copy is fine.
5. Yes, test result is not acceptable. You've to attend the full course and send copy of the certificate.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hey Qorax,

Thanks for the reply. But i don't see CLBPT (the one I have done) in the lists of the tests that are acceptable. However CELPIP is there which I think is different from what I have done. Can you please confirm if the one I did is acceptable.

@Hasni:

1. Not required
2. Not required
3. Not required
4. CLB 4 and above is the requirement. Yes, attaching it's copy is fine.
5. Yes, test result is not acceptable. You've to attend the full course and send copy of the certificate.

Reactions: qorax

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Qorax,

Also for my wife, she has not done any tests. Can she send her B.Com degree done from back home. Its in English but again nowhere on the degree is mentioned that the medium used was English.

Thanks

Hey Qorax,

Thanks for the reply. But i don't see CLBPT (the one I have done) in the lists of the tests that are acceptable. However CELPIP is there which I think is different from what I have done. Can you please confirm if the one I did is acceptable.

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hey Qorax,

CLB is the benchmark level. It is not a test. The tests are either CELPIP-G or IELTS-G.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Qorax,

Also for my wife, she has not done any tests. Can she send her B.Com degree done from back home. Its in English but again nowhere on the degree is mentioned that the medium used was English.

Thanks
No. Not permitted.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
But what I did was CLBPT. So am I good to attaché its result ! Actually why I am asking again and again, somewhere I read that this assessment is not acceptable for citizenship. Please confirm
CLB is the benchmark level. It is not a test. The tests are either CELPIP-G or IELTS-G.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So what option does she have now that can get her a quick result. OR she should get a letter from her uni back home that English was the medium used for education. Please advise
No. Not permitted.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
But what I did was CLBPT. So am I good to attaché its result ! Actually why I am asking again and again, somewhere I read that this assessment is not acceptable for citizenship. Please confirm
I have no idea what is CLBPT.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
So what option does she have now that can get her a quick result. OR she should get a letter from her uni back home that English was the medium used for education. Please advise
That is not acceptable.

If a person cannot demonstrate knowledge of [one of] the official languages, but s/he is already a PR ~ s/he can request for a "waiver". In which case, a Citizenship Officer could use an interpreter during the interview process - and determine if a waiver is granted or not.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Yes, doing this would be fine.

You can provide (according to the IRCC guidelines) :

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
Note that elsewhere they specify that is important the program was in English (or French), so make sure the letter from the institution states that. If only a few courses were in English (or French) then the diploma will not be usable as proof of language proficiency.

(This information comes from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language so I'm not sure where qorax's claim that "this is not acceptable" comes from)

Note that with your application you're meant to only send photocopies of the documents (diploma, letter, and if necessary certified translations). You will have to show the originals when you have your citizenship test and interview.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
If by CLBPT you mean the test that is usually conducted at YMCA for the puspose of attending bridging programs/or linc/ESL classes - that one is not accepted for citizenship.

CELPIP or IELTS are accepted. You could also use an old expired IELTS if it was the same one you used during your FSW application.

If a university degree clearly says that the language of instruction was English, it can also be used.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks emamabd ! Yes you are right its the same test so not acceptable. Unfortunately I don't have any record of my IELTS result and I guess there is no way of getting a duplicate of it. How about if I try sending my degree with the CCPE verification letter that approved my education for immigration purposes. If not acceptable to CIC, I think my application will not be returned on this basis. Max they can ask is to submit a valid proof, that I will keep ready by then. I just want to submit my application and don't want to delay just for this reason. Do you guys agree with this approach! Getting a letter from uni gonna take some good time for me.
If by CLBPT you mean the test that is usually conducted at YMCA for the puspose of attending bridging programs/or linc/ESL classes - that one is not accepted for citizenship.

@qorax - CLBPT - Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test

@btbt - thanks. Looks like it has left as a last resort for myself and my wife.

CELPIP or IELTS are accepted. You could also use an old expired IELTS if it was the same one you used during your FSW application.

If a university degree clearly says that the language of instruction was English, it can also be used.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks emamabd ! Yes you are right its the same test so not acceptable. Unfortunately I don't have any record of my IELTS result and I guess there is no way of getting a duplicate of it. How about if I try sending my degree with the CCPE verification letter that approved my education for immigration purposes.
For my citizenship application, i used a scanned copy of my old IELTS score (same one used during FSW)..i couldn't locate the original but wasn't asked for it during the process. As a precaution i also sat for CELPIP and had the result with me for the interview, but again wasn't asked to show original language proof. You must have saved a scanned copy of your old ielts somewhere, or maybe in your email inbox/outbox?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
How about if I try sending my degree with the CCPE verification letter that approved my education for immigration purposes. If not acceptable to CIC, I think my application will not be returned on this basis.
Depends on the officer, logically yes they could always ask for whatever doc. they feel is missing..but its not uncommon that they return applications deemed as incomplete, and that could be a couple of months from now due to the large volumes of incoming applications.

I have a friend who's application was recently returned, he got it back 3 months after applying.