+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Language Proficiency Proof

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks emamabd ! Yes you are right its the same test so not acceptable. Unfortunately I don't have any record of my IELTS result and I guess there is no way of getting a duplicate of it. How about if I try sending my degree with the CCPE verification letter that approved my education for immigration purposes. If not acceptable to CIC, I think my application will not be returned on this basis. Max they can ask is to submit a valid proof, that I will keep ready by then. I just want to submit my application and don't want to delay just for this reason. Do you guys agree with this approach! Getting a letter from uni gonna take some good time for me.
I don't know how flexible IRCC is likely to be about proof of English language proficiency. It may end up depending on the specific civil servant who reviews your submission, and they may be easy-going or they may do everything strictly according to the book and return your application.

If they don't accept your diploma without the explanatory letter you'd be facing a few weeks to a few months of delay: the time for your application to have its initial review, then the time for it to be returned, then for you to gather the documents they ask for, and then resubmit your documents, and again wait for an initial review.

One other thing to consider: if you request letters from your university and your spouse's university will they be in English? Are your diploma's in English? If they are not then you'll need to provide an official translation, which will take some time and cost money. Would it be cheaper and faster to write the IELTS/CELPIP? Or, if the documents are in English or if translation is cheap enough, is some delay worth it?

It's your choice.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My friend just applied recently, she submitted her diploma and transcript of records from the Philippines, (without a letter saying English is the medium of instruction) not from top universities in the Philippines, and English is one of the 2 official languages in the Phils.
And she also submitted the CLBPT, we argued about that CLBPT as not acceptable and only CELPIP or IELTS is accepted. I said to her you can always try if the officer is strict, it will be returned lol.
CIC accepted her diploma and TOR.

paramjit

Star Member
Oct 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2013
LANDED..........
In July-2013
I submitted degree /diploma certificate for myself and spouse which was in english without mentioning medium of instruction as english and it was accepted.I got the aor and currently inprocess. As per my view they only need proof for instruction of english if the certificate or transcript is not in english language.
Hope this helps.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Thanks paramjit. I am lot encouraged after your reply. Whatever you did makes sense. I am also wondering why one has to get the uni letter explaining the medium once your degree is in English. They haven't at all in the instructions discriminated between having degree from English / non-English speaking countries. Its pretty straight forward, if your degree is in English, simple attach a copy and it should work. Guys you agree, it has worked in so many cases !

I submitted degree /diploma certificate for myself and spouse which was in english without mentioning medium of instruction as english and it was accepted.I got the aor and currently inprocess. As per my view they only need proof for instruction of english if the certificate or transcript is not in english language.
Hope this helps.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks paramjit. I am lot encouraged after your reply. Whatever you did makes sense. I am also wondering why one has to get the uni letter explaining the medium once your degree is in English. They haven't at all in the instructions discriminated between having degree from English / non-English speaking countries. Its pretty straight forward, if your degree is in English, simple attach a copy and it should work. Guys you agree, it has worked in so many cases !
If you look at the bit I quoted (from IRCC's website) in an earlier message in this thread you'll see that the determining factor is not whether or not the diploma is from an English-speaking country, but if the diploma itself (i.e. the text on the piece of paper) is in English.

If it is, then you can use it as it is.
If it is not, then you need both a translation and a letter documenting that the program was taught in English.

And as I said, you can try sending them documents that don't strictly meet the requirements, if you're okay with potential delays. The choice is yours.

Reactions: Hasni

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
But what I did was CLBPT. So am I good to attaché its result ! Actually why I am asking again and again, somewhere I read that this assessment is not acceptable for citizenship. Please confirm
CLB placement is not a proof of language even if you scored 12 on all sections!
Approved third party scores are the best. No questions asked. Else, have a diploma from US/ Canadian Universities.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Yes, I believe you can attach the degree certificate and transcripts. My wife has an MBA degree from a local university (small town autonomous university) in India. I was skeptical whether that would be fine or not, but we received AOR. The application is in process.

On that certificate, it does not specifically mention medium of language, but all professional higher education in India is in English.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
And as I said, you can try sending them documents that don't strictly meet the requirements, if you're okay with potential delays. The choice is yours.
If the OP does not have a Canadian degree certificate or any exam certificate like IELTS, etc, then definitely it makes sense to submit an application with home country degree. It may lead to potential delay if the officer thinks its not adequate.

But on the other hand, passing IELTS or any other exam is definite delay. If I was in OP's shoes, I would submit an application now and see if it works (actually I did the same for my wife).

I think practical experience is quite different from what they have on their website. Maybe for India, IRCC acknowledges the fact that all professional courses in India are in English, so they allow the degree certificates as proof of language. Just my thought.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
I have submitted my application attaching just the degrees and transcripts. Sometime too much of thinking takes you nowhere. Hope all goes well :)

Thanks mates for the help.

If the OP does not have a Canadian degree certificate or any exam certificate like IELTS, etc, then definitely it makes sense to submit an application with home country degree. It may lead to potential delay if the officer thinks its not adequate.

But on the other hand, passing IELTS or any other exam is definite delay. If I was in OP's shoes, I would submit an application now and see if it works (actually I did the same for my wife).

I think practical experience is quite different from what they have on their website. Maybe for India, IRCC acknowledges the fact that all professional courses in India are in English, so they allow the degree certificates as proof of language. Just my thought.

Reactions: amitdi

Melek89

Mar 13, 2018
I've read on cic said that funded language program can be used as proof for citizenship language requirement .Does anyone know how long to complete this funded language program to get a result ? Also I'd like to know if I can only use funded language program as a proof instead of the result from General LS-CELPIP ? I have no one to help and I cannot keep calling or send email to ask for every question that I need to know. Please help me with your experiences. I appreciate it!!!

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
I've read on cic said that funded language program can be used as proof for citizenship language requirement .Does anyone know how long to complete this funded language program to get a result ? Also I'd like to know if I can only use funded language program as a proof instead of the result from General LS-CELPIP ? I have no one to help and I cannot keep calling or send email to ask for every question that I need to know. Please help me with your experiences. I appreciate it!!!
The basic overview is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571&top=5. There is a link to a step by step guide on that page as well, which may help determine which proof you can offer.

Basically, you can use:
- an approved language test (CELPIP or IELTS)
- a credential from a secondary or post-secondary program (so a high school, college, or university diploma or certificate)
- proof of completion of a government-funded language class

The complete listing is at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language

Most of the language programs I'm aware of run for three months at a time (some are part-time, some full-time), so you'd have to attend classes at least once or twice per week for three months. At the end you would get a completion certificate that can be used as proof for the language requirement. (The placement test that decides the level of the classes you would be enrolled in does not count as proof for the language requirement, only the completion of the program counts.)

These language instruction programs have different names in different provinces (LINC,ELSA,...) so it's best to search for these classes using more general keywords (English for newcomers to Canada, ESL permanent resident, IRCC language classes, and similar keywords) together with your province and town/city name.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
1) My son is doing 3rd year in the Engineering Degree program in Canadian university. Are his transcripts for 1st and 2nd year acceptable as English Lang proof?

2) He got his OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma- 12th grade passing) from Canada. Is this ok?

3) He had taken a test called CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Test ) for the University admission. This is conducted by the same organization who conduct CELPIP and used by universities. He has the score report which they sent by email. Official report was sent directly to university. Is this one ok?

Which of the above are acceptable lang proofs for CIC? All of them are ok ?

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) My son is doing 3rd year in the Engineering Degree program in Canadian university. Are his transcripts for 1st and 2nd year acceptable as English Lang proof?

2) He got his OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma- 12th grade passing) from Canada. Is this ok?

3) He had taken a test called CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Test ) for the University admission. This is conducted by the same organization who conduct CELPIP and used by universities. He has the score report which they sent by email. Official report was sent directly to university. Is this one ok?

Yes. His transcripts are sufficient. I am in my third year at the university and I did submit my transcripts as proof of language. My application is in process.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

1 and 2 are ok, 3 is not.
(IRCC only accepts the general CELPIP and IELTS tests, not academic ones)

I'd recommend using 2. You can add 1 as well, but it's not necessary.