Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
Hi there,

Thank you for your note.

Well as I mentioned in my previous reply that I have applied for my GCMS notes only last week as I wasn't familiar about that aspect and got to know about that from this forum so applied for it. Let's see what comes up there.

I agree we have to live life as normal as we can but this thing is always there at the back of my mind to be honest especially when I hear and see people around me getting their calls. I feel happy for them but bad for myself if you know what I mean.

By the way how do you know that your office is Mississauga. Is it just because you live there or what ? I too live in Mississauga but have no communication as to where my file is.

I ask this because I know someone who also lives in Mississauga but his file was processed at the Scarborough office.
any luck calling the call center? they dont have a whole lot of info - but it could provide some input... good luck with rest of the process!

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I've been in process since Nov 23 for more than 200 days now. Nothing since then.

As per my discussion with call center, I've passed all background checks and my file has been transferred to Mississauga office on May 28. Call center agent said it is in queue for test invite.

I guess it depends on processing path for individual applications. They might do security after test for some whereas for others it is done before test. Hence different people have different timelines. Also, once application is assigned to an officer, they can finalize application at their own discretion.
Hi there,

Well I guess we guys are in the same boat.

When I called the call center a few months ago the guy wasn't very helpful. In fact he told me that he sees exactly what we see on the online portal and that I was still very much in the 12 month timeline so there was nothing that he could do or say.

I am surprised that your guy told you all this information over the phone. Good for you !!

When I call I can never get through and only got through 1 time when I spoke to that person who was not very helpful.

Keeping finges crossed.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
any luck calling the call center? they dont have a whole lot of info - but it could provide some input... good luck with rest of the process!
Hi there,

Yes I did call the call center a million times and only got through 1 time.

Unfortunately the guy wasn't very helpful. In fact he told me that he sees exactly what we see on the online portal and that I was still very much in the 12 month timeline so there was nothing that he could do or say. At that time my application was done about 6 - 7 months ago.

I will be trying to call them again today and see what they can tell me. It has been 2 -3 months we spoke and I am sure there will be updates.

Appreciate the advice.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Your notes will tell you where your office is. You can also call the call center.

The wait is definitely frustrating. I’ve been in Canada for 19 years. Have a family and a successful business. I believe I contribute to Canada’s growth in every way possible like a responsible resident.

I don’t deserve these delays and ambiguity in my life. However, I know it’s not in my control at this stage. If I do hit over 12 months I will get the top lawyers in this country to pursue my case aggressively. Till then I will move on with my life.
Hi there,

In that case I will wait for the GCMS notes to come to me to get a better idea of where I am in the process and where is my file currently.

I think your plan of action is solid but I hope that neither of us hit the 12 month period and get our citisenship before.

Wish you well for your application.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hi All,

So here's the update as I was able to speak with the call center after a half an hour wait today.

There is NO UPDATE on my file as of now. All my documentation is complete but the background check has not been started as of now. The call center agent could not explain why that is the case.

I have been told that 12 months is an average time that CIC takes for citizenship applications but some cases take longer as well. I think I am pretty sure now that mine will be one of those "some cases".

It is what it is and I don't really know what else to say on top of it.

Whether I should be angry that an application submitted in September 2017 remains at the stage that it is in or just stay patient for another 2 - 3 months.....I really don't know.

I don't think me or any future Canadian deserves this kind of an experience but I sincerely hope that CIC is doing something to improve the experience for all of us.

Wish you all well in your application process !!

Reactions: ChippyBoy

Nkhlkumar

Jun 6, 2016
Hi Guys,

Quick question I did recieve my citizenship test date which is on July 5. I have a planned vacation from July 8 until Sep 3. That being said, I was single and residing in Ontario during this time, but when I come back from vacation I will be married and residing in another province [Alberta] . Can I reschedule my oath ceremony after I come back from my vacation and also can I reschedule it to another province. Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Besides, why are you , guys, in such a rush? Could not wait for your citizenship to leave Canada the next day? Or are so eager to vote? :)))
Hi there

I am in a rush because there are certain positions in the Government of Canada that I wanted to apply for which all have a pre-requisite of being a Canadian citizen. These positions typically open up in summers as this is the hiring season and if I miss it this time then that means waiting till summer 2019 which is a bummer.

With the bunch of jokers that we have running for the top post I assure you eagerness to vote is not at the top of my mind and neither in leaving Canada. I love the country and what it offers....I just believe the immigration system sucks and needs a revamp.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hi Guys,

Quick question I did recieve my citizenship test date which is on July 5. I have a planned vacation from July 8 until Sep 3. That being said, I was single and residing in Ontario during this time, but when I come back from vacation I will be married and residing in another province [Alberta] . Can I reschedule my oath ceremony after I come back from my vacation and also can I reschedule it to another province. Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on getting for test date.

I believe that you can re-schedule yout oath ceremony but the best thing to do would be to enquire with the CIC officials after you clear your test.

I wish I could give you a better answer.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014

Besides, why are you , guys, in such a rush? Could not wait for your citizenship to leave Canada the next day? Or are so eager to vote? :)))
Other than being able to leave or vote, I think the most important reason people want to get citizenship quickly is because the long wait with no apparent reason causes DOUBT in their minds. Doubt that they'll ever get it. Even though statistics show something like 98% of the applications will be approved eventually, it's our human nature to worry about the 2%.

If somehow God tells them they'll get it in 24 months, a sure thing. I bet all the complaints will go away, even though that's a lot longer than the current average!

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017

Maybe leaving is what you have in mind. To me, I'm sick of feeling like a second class citizen, I work and pay taxes and yet have no say in the election of people who govern me, I am unable to apply for certain jobs, I am subject to residence examination every time I travel and return, I can be deported if I make a significant mistake and the list goes on.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

The same question could be asked to people who line up outside Apple/Nike store for the latest phones/shoes - I would wonder about that for a second, but I would quickly realize that's none of my business and it's silly to judge - people want certain things for their own personal reasons, and that's nobody else's business. Just because the waiting is no big deal to you, doesn't mean it can matter a lot to others.

On a more realistic note, people who were caught in the middle of the C-24 and C-6 (i.e. just a few days/weeks short of 4-year requirement before Oct 2017, and had to apply under C-6 with a much larger group of people), are now facing the problem of PR expiring soon yet the wait for citizenship is still nowhere near the end, and have to apply for PR renewal, which is once again a big black hole of unknown amount of waiting

Last edited:

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Hi All,

I wanted to get some advice from experts / other fellow applicants who might have more experience in thie process than me.

Here are my case timeline details :-
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 11, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 12, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on November 2, 2017.
This is my 10th month after application and have heard nothing from CIC after the 3 rd update about the processing of my application starting from Nov 2 - no update about fingerprints or anything.

Based on my earlier posts and advice shared I have already applied for my GCMS notes ( I believe I should be getting them in a month as I applied last week ) and also sent a request to my local MP ( never heard anything back from him as of now ). What else can I do ?

Yes I know that I need to be patient but I have been patient now for close to 10 months and applied with more than enough days of physical presence requirement and all the necessary documentation.

I need some sincere advice here please because when I see people getting citizenship within 4 - 5 months of applying and even people who applied months after me getting citizenship I fail to understand why is mine getting delayed.
Hi
My wife has been waiting since May 2017.. still in process since July 2017.. 2 weeks ago we submitted the web form since we already passed the 1 year mark and today she got the test invite for July!! So things might take time and for no reason!