+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Verification

Dec 4, 2017
So I worked for a year as a high school teacher for Chicago Public Schools and just got a employment verification form in the mail. It is remarkably brief. It lists my dates of service (August 31st 2015 - August 31st 2016), hourly salary, annual salary, and my full time employee status. Is that enough for CIC when I apply for PR? The principal at the school has since been fired (it was a tough high school) and I don't have a forwarding address or contact information for him so it would be highly difficult to get a letter stating my duties/responsibilities.

Is the official form (although bare bones / not detailed at all) verifying my employment as a high school teacher for Chicago Public Schools good enough for CIC? I had a similarly non-specific form when I applied for a BC Teaching License and that passed muster.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
No, it is not enough as duties and responsibilities are a must. The required information are summarized below.

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.

Dec 4, 2017
No, it is not enough as duties and responsibilities are a must. The required information are summarized below.

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
Had a feeling but wanted to double check with the forum.

Thanks!

wonbinofchina

Dec 4, 2017
in the same boat here, my Employers would not include the job duties in the verification letter, since it's not standard format.
Is there anyway to work around it? such as have my coworker to write it down in another letterhead paper and sign it?

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
Had a feeling but wanted to double check with the forum.

Thanks!
You can ask one of your former colleagues attesting your duties and responsibilities, then have the signature notarized. You could also include your colleague's badge/business card to add credibility. You also need to explain the situation in LOE. I think you will be fine.