+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Status change

SamN4

Nov 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I recently submitted my wife's application for permanent residence, I am employed full time, however I am likely going back University in Sept.

At what point, if at all?, would or should I contact the Canadian offices to let them know I am no longer employed full time, and that I'm a student?

Any ideas or people in similar boats?

Thanks

I

iarblue

It says you must notify them of any changes immed.If you dont and they request proof of your studies and there is a date on there different from what you gave them???Dont give them any reason to doubt you.You do not need any income proof or a certain amount of income for spousal sponsorship.If you have some money in your act before you go to school it wont hurt if you dont well it states you dont need it but what they say and what they do???

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
Well OOOOPS! My status changed during our application, and I didnt tell anyone. I didn't as it was right at the end of our application process and I knew it wouldn't change anything. A friend of mine prior had had the same thing happen, and when she called was told not to worry about it if the sponsorship was already approved.

However in hindsight, I probablly should have let them know.

Becoming a student will not effect your app, so you should probably give the CIC a call when you confirm your registration, just to see what they reccomend.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With respect to a sponsor, the status changes that would be relevant to CIC are:

Declaring Bankruptcy
Receiving Social Assistance (NOT a student loan or EI benefits)
Change of Address
Change of Marital status (applied as common-law, got married)
Convicted of one of the criminal offences that prevent eligibility to sponsor
A prison sentence or detention

Going back to school does not have a negative impact. The only cause for concern could be if a VO is assessing your application and feels that you and your partner would not be able to support yourselves financially because you have no assets, savings, job skills, etc. and would have to rely on social assistance in Canada.

If none of the above apply, you do not have to inform CIC of your decision to go back to school.

K

kalew2010

are you sure that you can claim EI while the sponsorship is pending and when your spouse/partner joins you in canada? the reason i ask is that i am currently working on contract and this is not always steady employment though i have been quite lucky lately. where did you find this list?