+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment/source of support - Foreign income

Juan Gonzalez

Feb 5, 2018
Hi!

A little background first...my partner (Canadian citizen) is sponsoring my application under family class (I'm Argentinean). I'm a business owner in Argentina and I also have a monthly salary from the company but I don't know if I can use foreign income as a source of support in our application. I still will be working for the company from abroad (it's an engineering company so that's very common nowadays) and my plan is that once I get my PR, I can start a subsidiary of the company in BC and be an employee of that company so as to have an actual job and pay taxes in Canada! :)

I can include my payslips from the past 7 seven years as well as my stake in the company (I own 33%).

I really appreciate your help!
Juan.-

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
In a spousal sponsorship there is no minimum income required. Your sponsor however, cannot be on welfare or some other forms of social assistance. The applicant does not need to show their financial information.

That said, if your spouse/partner is not on social assistance, but has a low income level, CIC may look more closely at that to make sure that neither they or you will end up on social assistance. In this case, you as the applicant can show your financial information then to show your interdependence to each other by providing money transfer receipts.

Juan Gonzalez

Feb 5, 2018
In a spousal sponsorship there is no minimum income required. Your sponsor however, cannot be on welfare or some other forms of social assistance. The applicant does not need to show their financial information.

That said, if your spouse/partner is not on social assistance, but has a low income level, CIC may look more closely at that to make sure that neither they or you will end up on social assistance. In this case, you as the applicant can show your financial information then to show your interdependence to each other by providing money transfer receipts.
Thanks for your quick reply Jordo!

She's currently unemployed, she's doing a Professional Development Program at Simon Fraser in order to became a French Immersion teacher. We have some savings and actually I intend to support her from Argentina with my salary until she starts working as a teacher (in 1 year).

Do you think it will help our case if I show my financial information? We have shared bank accounts (in Argentina) and she uses an extension of my credit card.

Thanks!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Thanks for your quick reply Jordo!

She's currently unemployed, she's doing a Professional Development Program at Simon Fraser in order to became a French Immersion teacher. We have some savings and actually I intend to support her from Argentina with my salary until she starts working as a teacher (in 1 year).

Do you think it will help our case if I show my financial information? We have shared bank accounts (in Argentina) and she uses an extension of my credit card.

Thanks!
Yes, if she is unemployed then CIC will want to see how she, as the sponsor, will support you. In a round about way, she will be supporting you by you supporting her. Everything will be just fine as long as she doesn't get on social assistance. (Unemployment insurance is not considered social assistance since every worker pays into it.)

Showing your private financial information like salary, showing use of the subsidiary credit card, and if applicable other cash transfers between you two (paypal, western union) will be sufficient. Showing your business stake won't be required, in my opinion.

Juan Gonzalez

Feb 5, 2018
Yes, if she is unemployed then CIC will want to see how she, as the sponsor, will support you. In a round about way, she will be supporting you by you supporting her. Everything will be just fine as long as she doesn't get on social assistance. (Unemployment insurance is not considered social assistance since every worker pays into it.)

Showing your private financial information like salary, showing use of the subsidiary credit card, and if applicable other cash transfers between you two (paypal, western union) will be sufficient. Showing your business stake won't be required, in my opinion.
Do you think something like this will work for the CIC?

I’m currently unemployed and a full-time student at Simon Fraser University. I’ve just started a Professional Development Program to become a French Immersion teacher (acceptance letter attached) in 2019 and I’m living off of my savings and Juan’s support from Argentina. I hold a bachelor’s degree in XX from XX and a master’s degree in World Literatures and Cultures from University of Ottawa. For the past two years I worked as an English teacher in Argentina, where Juan and I resided, and that allowed me to save money for my tuition and living expenses for the first couple of months as a student. We have a shared bank account and I frequently use an extension of his credit card (evidence in the “Shared Financials” section).

Juan is the Chief Sales Officer and co-founder of a successful engineering company in Argentina and he plans to expand his business to Canada upon his arrival. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications Engineering and a Master’s degree in Corporate Finances and his company, TCTech, employees over 50 people in Argentina. He will be attending the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this month as an exhibitor endorsed by the Argentinian Government in order to meet potential clients based in Canada and the United States (https://www.mobileworldcongress.com/exhibitor/tctech/).

This situation is momentary since I fully intend to become a full-time worker as a french teacher in Vancouver in 2019 once I finish my program.

Thanks again Jodor! You've been very helpful!

Reactions: jordo

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Looks pretty thorough.

I didn't realize your spouse was not residing in Canada. So, In addition to the above your sponsor will need to show intent to move back to Canada as soon as the sponsorship is approved. Your letter above touches on this a bit, but CIC will also look to see what other documentation your Sponsor can show to show that intent. Them having documentation of correspondence with realtors/rental agencies regarding finding housing, having correspondence with future prospective employers will go a long way.
The sponsor is IN Canada studying. (SFU is in BC)

The applicant is not currently residing in Canada.

Juan Gonzalez

Feb 5, 2018
The sponsor is IN Canada studying. (SFU is in BC)

The applicant is not currently residing in Canada.
That's right! I'm sorry if it's poorly phrased.

She (Sponsor) is living in Vancouver and studying at SFU and I'm applying outland (from Argentina) under family class.

Thanks!